From: Lane on
I have seen a couple of posts online in which people have posted our exact
problem, but I've not had any luck finding an answer. When, in My Sites, a
user tries to add a web part, SharePoint throws the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at
Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.VirtualServerWebPartDataProvider.get_VirtualRootPath()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.VirtualServerWebPartDataProvider..ctor(SPWeb web)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.WebPartGalleryPicker.FindAllWebParts()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.WebPartGalleryPicker.CreateChildControls()
at System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.WebPartGalleryPicker.OnLoad(EventArgs
e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.WebPartGalleryPickerPage.CreateChildControls()
at System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls()
at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()

Likewise, when trying to access advanced permissions in My Sites, we get
this error:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at
Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.get_IISAllowsAnonymous()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.UserRoles.InitPage()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages.CBaseAclPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be causing this?

Sharepoint is patched (SP1), and these errors do not occur with "normal"
site collections; it just happens with My Sites.

Unfortunately, too, there are no accompanying errors in the event logs
(either on DB server or web server) that I can see.

Any help would be really appreciated! -Lane

From: Mike Walsh on
This newsgroup is only for people running the WSs 2.0 product or the WSS
3.0 product.

It is not for MOSS 2007 users. (MySite functionality is in any case
something that is not included in WSS 3.0 or 2.0)

Please therefore post this question to a newsgroup that covers MOSS
questions.

These include the old newsgroup .sharepoint.portalserver

and the new newsgroupos for all products and versions such as
microsoft.public.sharepoint.setup_and_administration

Mike Walsh
WSS FAQ http://www.wssv3faq.com / http://wss.collutions.com
no private e-mail questions please