From: Ron on
Before SP2 my maintenance plan was stable.

Now, I get the following when I try to modify the plan:
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio is unable to load this document:
Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID
{E44847F1-FD8C-4251-B5DA-B04BB22E236E} failed due to the following error:
8007007e

I can't edit the plan or delete the plan.

The logs say that the plan is running and succesfully backing up the
databases, but there are no files being produced in the backup directory. I
do not know where the files are going.

Note that the only modification to the SQL Server was the addition of SP2.
Prior to that everything was working.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
From: Uri Dimant on
Ron

What is the status of MP? Is it in progress. I got the error when I tried to
run MP created on SP1 after installing SP2, but I was able to delete it an d
re-create. After that it works fine

From: Ron on
I can't delete it, look at it, modify it, or anyhting. I get the same error
if I try to create a new plan. The Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS is
mentioned in the error that appears when I try to create a new entry.

The log files indicate that it does run, but the backup is being sent to the
VIRTUAL_DEVICE. Note that the plan history has not had any entries since I
installed the SP2, but the SQL Server log says that the maintenance plan is
making the backup at the correct time.

The full error that appears when I try to create a new plan is below:
===================================

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (mscorlib)

------------------------------
Program Location:

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean
publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor,
Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean
fillCache)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean
skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
at
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance.MaintDesignerMenuHandler.Invoke()

===================================

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID
{E80FE1DB-D1AA-4D6B-BA7E-040D424A925C} failed due to the following error:
8007007e. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS)

------------------------------
Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Package..ctor()

From: Uri Dimant on
Ron

It looks like you have a DTS/SSIS Package tied in MP. Am I right?

From: John Bell on
..Hi

There has been an issue with maintenance plans for SP2 see
https://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrem/ for more information, although on the face of
it your descriptions does not seem to be the same thing. It seems that a COM
class has been unregistered.

Is this a legacy maintenance plan or a new one?

Have you tried re-applying the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer
Components from the February 2007 - Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=50B97994-8453-4998-8226-FA42EC403D17&displaylang=en

John