From: Nospam on
I am getting a strange error whenever I boot up winxp sp2
that says:
Error initialising PCI express Nic bridge
Nic failure
strike the f1 key to continue, f2 to run the setup untility

I am unable to get on the internet on my cable network, and surprisingly
the ethernet card in network connections has vanished.

I noticed this after some windy weather last night, I haven't installed
anything that i think could have caused this except for creative media,
which I have since uninstalled but I am still getting this error, I have
also rolled back the registry to a previous version of several days old
before the problems started made no difference, I ran sfc /scannow and
still I am getting this problem, I suspect it is not a software issue and I
am running out of ideas on what to do

My system is a dell dimension 8400
x86 based pc
bios revision a04

I have restarted the NIC several times as stated in the dell support forum,
by going into the bios via F2, changing the integrated NIC in onboard
devices to off, removing the power cable after disconnecting the ethernet
cable my broadband conneciton uses, waiting 30 seconds and putting the power
cable back, rebooting the pc changing the integrated nic in onboard devices
to on again and saving and exiting, I have done this several times yet I am
still unable to use the internet or escape from this error.

Any help will be truly appreciated

From: Rich Greenberg on
In article <qmrdf.8873$mF5.5581(a)newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
Nospam <nospam(a)home.com> wrote:
>I am getting a strange error whenever I boot up winxp sp2
>that says:
>Error initialising PCI express Nic bridge
>Nic failure
>strike the f1 key to continue, f2 to run the setup untility

My first guess is that the nic has died. Is it built into the
motherboard?

If so, disable it in the bios. If not, pull it out of its slot and
ditch it.

In either case, nic cards are cheap. Buy a new one.