From: Ikke on
Hi everybody,

I've ran into a bit of trouble installing MSN Messenger 7.5 on a client's
PC. Apparently he's had a newer version of MSN on his computer, forcing the
installer to abort, telling me that there is a newer version already on the
machine.

The installer fails with code 1603 (go to the website etc... and download
the latest version).

Looking at his installed software list, there's no mention of MSN
Messenger. Looking at his installed Windows components, I saw MSN Messenger
listed, removed it, added it again, but nothing happened on removal nor on
reinstallation.

Browsing through the registry, there's hardly any mention of MSN Messenger,
so it seems most (if not all) of those entries have been deleted as well.

Basically, what do I need to do to install MSN 7 or 8 on his machine,
without having to install the Live version (he specifically does NOT want a
higher version than 8), without having to reinstall his entire XP?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Ikke
From: StephenB on
Why does the client not want Windows Live Messenger?
There is a potential solution for the 1603 error here:
http://messenger.msn.com/Help/
"Download and Installation

How do I fix the error "MSN Messenger setup failed with error code '1603'"
during setup?

When running MSN Messenger Setup, you may encounter a "1603" error or you may
get the following error message instead.
An error occurred during the installation of assembly
"Microsoft.Windows.Networking.RtcDll, type="win32", version="5.2.2.1",
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df", processorAchitecture="x86"". Please refer to
Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070002.
To resolve the situation:
Turn off any spyware detection programs.
If you have the Microsoft� Windows� AntiSpyware (Beta) installed, right-click
the Windows AntiSpyware icon in the taskbar notification area and click
"Shutdown Microsoft AntiSpyware". To turn off non-Microsoft anti-spyware
programs, refer to instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Run MSN Messenger Setup again.
If this does not resolve the problem, you may not have enough free disk space.
The Disk Cleanup tool calculates how to safely free up disk space on your hard
disk.
To make some disk space available:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance.
Click Free up space on your hard disk.
The Disk Cleanup dialog box appears.
On the Disk Cleanup tab, select the following check boxes:
Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files
Temporary Files
Temporary Offline Files
Offline Files
Click OK to delete the files from these locations.
When prompted, click Yes start the disk cleanup."

Another possibility is here:
http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/windows-live-messenger-support/17420-error-code-1601-1603-solutions.html

And more here:
http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!12611.entry?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=164820651

-steve

--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
From: Ikke on
StephenB <sboots(a)mvps.org> wrote in

> Why does the client not want Windows Live Messenger?
> There is a potential solution for the 1603 error here:
> http://messenger.msn.com/Help/
> "Download and Installation

Well, because he can't install Windows Live Messenger for one :)

Second, because he hates having to install a huge application to get
something as simple as a messenger on his machine. Nowadays size isn't that
much of an issue, but I can understand him in a way.

Last, because 7.5 already offers more than he needs, so what's the point in
upgrading?

Anyway, I've checked the links you posted, and was able to install MSN 7.5
on his machine again - all is working fine now.

Thanks!

Ikke
From: StephenB on
Ikke <ikke(a)hier.be> wrote:

>StephenB <sboots(a)mvps.org> wrote in
>
>> Why does the client not want Windows Live Messenger?
>> There is a potential solution for the 1603 error here:
>> http://messenger.msn.com/Help/
>> "Download and Installation
>
>Well, because he can't install Windows Live Messenger for one :)
>
>Second, because he hates having to install a huge application to get
>something as simple as a messenger on his machine. Nowadays size isn't that
>much of an issue, but I can understand him in a way.
>
>Last, because 7.5 already offers more than he needs, so what's the point in
>upgrading?
>
>Anyway, I've checked the links you posted, and was able to install MSN 7.5
>on his machine again - all is working fine now.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Ikke

Glad to read that you were able to resolve it.
-steve
From: rosimar cousen on

"Ikke" <ikke(a)hier.be> escreveu na mensagem
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've ran into a bit of trouble installing MSN Messenger 7.5 on a client's
> PC. Apparently he's had a newer version of MSN on his computer, forcing
> the
> installer to abort, telling me that there is a newer version already on
> the
> machine.
>
> The installer fails with code 1603 (go to the website etc... and download
> the latest version).
>
> Looking at his installed software list, there's no mention of MSN
> Messenger. Looking at his installed Windows components, I saw MSN
> Messenger
> listed, removed it, added it again, but nothing happened on removal nor on
> reinstallation.
>
> Browsing through the registry, there's hardly any mention of MSN
> Messenger,
> so it seems most (if not all) of those entries have been deleted as well.
>
> Basically, what do I need to do to install MSN 7 or 8 on his machine,
> without having to install the Live version (he specifically does NOT want
> higher version than 8), without having to reinstall his entire XP?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
>
> Ikke

Pages: 1
Prev: Messenger stopped working