From: Anode on
I cannot create a new folder on an external HDD.

Win XP Pro, SP3.

I go to My Computer, and select the external HDD letter. Then go over to the
right-hand pane, right click and select New, then Folder.

This produces an error message "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I can save and retrieve a Word document all right to this same external HDD.

I can use the above method to create a new folder on the desktop, and on the
two HDDs that are internal to the computer.

Virus and malware scans are negative (Norton antivirus and Malwarebytes).

I want to create new folders on this external HDD. Can anyone help please?

From: Barry Schwarz on
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:41:05 +0100, "Anode" <notvalid> wrote:

>I cannot create a new folder on an external HDD.
>
>Win XP Pro, SP3.
>
>I go to My Computer, and select the external HDD letter. Then go over to the
>right-hand pane, right click and select New, then Folder.
>
>This produces an error message "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'
>The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
>
>I can save and retrieve a Word document all right to this same external HDD.
>
>I can use the above method to create a new folder on the desktop, and on the
>two HDDs that are internal to the computer.
>
>Virus and malware scans are negative (Norton antivirus and Malwarebytes).
>
>I want to create new folders on this external HDD. Can anyone help please?

Chkdsk might be able to tell you what kind of corruption, if any,
exists.

On the other hand, it may be easier to copy (or zip) all the files on
the "corrupt" disk to one of your other disks, reformat the disk,
verify that you can create the new directory as desired, and copy (or
unzip) everything back to where it was.

--
Remove del for email
From: ju.c on
Is the hard drive formatted?

ju.c

From: Anode on

"Barry Schwarz" <schwarzb(a)dqel.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:41:05 +0100, "Anode" <notvalid> wrote:
>
>>I cannot create a new folder on an external HDD.
>>
>>Win XP Pro, SP3.
>>
>>I go to My Computer, and select the external HDD letter. Then go over to
>>the
>>right-hand pane, right click and select New, then Folder.
>>
>>This produces an error message "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'
>>The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
>>
>>I can save and retrieve a Word document all right to this same external
>>HDD.
>>
>>I can use the above method to create a new folder on the desktop, and on
>>the
>>two HDDs that are internal to the computer.
>>
>>Virus and malware scans are negative (Norton antivirus and Malwarebytes).
>>
>>I want to create new folders on this external HDD. Can anyone help please?
>>

> Chkdsk might be able to tell you what kind of corruption, if any,
> exists.
>
> On the other hand, it may be easier to copy (or zip) all the files on
> the "corrupt" disk to one of your other disks, reformat the disk,
> verify that you can create the new directory as desired, and copy (or
> unzip) everything back to where it was.
>
> --
After running chkdsk it was possible to create new folders again.

Thank you,

Anode.

From: Anode on

"ju.c" <bibidybubidyboop(a)mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Is the hard drive formatted?
>

> ju.c

It is indeed. Chkdsk got it working again.

Thank you.

Anode.