From: Matt in VA on
Good Morning,

This in inregards to Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

I've recently imaged 3 PC's and pushed out over 40 Windows Updates:
KB974455 - 1/26/2010
KB978207 - 1/27/2010
KB973687
KB969059
KB974112
KB954155
KB969947
KB974571
KB975025
KB975467
KB973525
KB958869
KB971486
KB976098-v2
KB974392
KB955759
KB974318
KB972270
KB973904
KB971737
KB970430

The Windows Update Page loads, but instead of scanning the machine I am
given the error number from the title and the following statement:

[Error number: 0x80072F76]
"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem."

In my troubleshooting I found only one solution, and that was to check the
box for 'Use SSL 2.0' within the Internet Explorer Properties - Advanced tab.
That did not produce the desired results.

I believe the issue may reside in KB978207 (A Security Update for Windows
Internet Explorer 7).

I will remove this and try to access the Windows update site again.

If anyone has any further suggestions, I am most certainly looking to
resolve this issue before this problematic issue distributes to any further
machines.

Thanks!
From: Matt in VA on
KB978207 was not the source of the problem. Still looking into this issue.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You may encounter temporary connection-related errors [e.g., 0x80072F76]
when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

My CrystalBall© asks: Are you running Symantec Endpoint Protection?

Matt in VA wrote:
> KB978207 was not the source of the problem. Still looking into this
> issue.
>
>> This in inregards to Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
>>
>> I've recently imaged 3 PC's and pushed out over 40 Windows Updates:
>> KB974455 - 1/26/2010
>> KB978207 - 1/27/2010
>> KB973687
>> KB969059
>> KB974112
>> KB954155
>> KB969947
>> KB974571
>> KB975025
>> KB975467
>> KB973525
>> KB958869
>> KB971486
>> KB976098-v2
>> KB974392
>> KB955759
>> KB974318
>> KB972270
>> KB973904
>> KB971737
>> KB970430
>>
>> The Windows Update Page loads, but instead of scanning the machine I am
>> given the error number from the title and the following statement:
>>
>> [Error number: 0x80072F76]
>> "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
>> are
>> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
>> problem."
>>
>> In my troubleshooting I found only one solution, and that was to check
>> the
>> box for 'Use SSL 2.0' within the Internet Explorer Properties - Advanced
>> tab. That did not produce the desired results.
>>
>> I believe the issue may reside in KB978207 (A Security Update for Windows
>> Internet Explorer 7).
>>
>> I will remove this and try to access the Windows update site again.

Pages: 1
Prev: Office 2000
Next: Error Code 0x641 for any update.