From: BuddyToBud on
Windows Update will no longer work, giving the error number: 0xC8000711.

I have recently uninstalled Desktop Search because this was causing all
sorts of problems with Outlook and Indexing. I don't know whether this is
significant or not but it's the only recent change I'm aware of.

I would appreciate any help

I am running W2K and IE6
From: Juan Perez on
Hi found reference in a old forum, that I have in my documents:

"
Please register the following dll files .
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml2.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
REGSVR32 QMGR.DLL
REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 shell32.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
Check the local Windows Update services
====================================
1. Click Start, click Run and type in "services.msc" (without quotation
marks);
click OK.
2. Check if the following services are started.
Automatic Updates
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
Event Log
3. If any of them is not started, please double click it and click the Start
button
in the "Service status" section.
4. Click OK.
"
Also Keep and eye in your firewall. Disable it temporarily, if the above
doesn�t work.

Let us know if it works.

--
Un saludo
Juan Perez

From: BuddyToBud on
Juan,

thanks for your help. Unfortuately, the solution hasn't worked although the
following errors that occured during the process may give you some clues:

msxml2.dll, sccbase.dll and wuaeng1.dll all failed to register with "module
could not be found" errors

The event log could not be started with the following error:
"Error 1501: No event log file could be opened, so the event logging service
did not start."

The infuriating thing is that probably an indication of the cause is in the
event log!

Hope this gives you extra information

Cheer, Dave