From: Glaudie on
HI ,

I'm trying to create a report model from the sample Adventure works DW cube, that ships with SQL Server. However when i do this, i receive the following error.

An error occurred while generating model. (rsModelGenerationError) Get Online Help An error occurred during the generation of semantic model : [Create perspectives from cubes]Either the user, SAGREETINGS\Glaudie.Jewell, does not have access to the Adventure Works DW database, or the database does not exist..
[Create perspectives from cubes]Either the user, SAGREETINGS\Glaudie.Jewell, does not have access to the Adventure Works DW database, or the database does not exist.
Either the user, SAGREETINGS\Glaudie.Jewell, does not have access to the Adventure Works DW database, or the database does not exist.

SSAS, SSRS and SQL is all installed on my local machine. I've opened the Analysis services project, and deployed the datasource, and can view and access it by connecting to the OLAP database.

but still i cannot generate the model. What should the security settings in he DS itself be set to?

ezeget.com200 wrote:

Ok Charles, finally got the report to work, although I still failed to remote
24-Jun-08

Ok Charles, finally got the report to work, although I still failed to remote
deploy it to where I wanted, I managed to create the database using BIDS and
copied the RDL file into my SharePoint site and created the Data Source, and
now at least can see the sample Report.

I will leave this one now, and you can close it down, many thanks for your
assistance, much appreciated.

Cheers
--
Steve G

""Charles Wang [MSFT]"" wrote:

On Thursday, June 05, 2008 11:24 AM
ezeget.com200 wrote:

Running AdventureWorks Sample Sales Reason Comparisons Report fail
with this
An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
Query execution failed for data set 'ProductList'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand)
Either the user, AVEVA\steve.giergiel, does not have access to the Adventure
WorksDW database, or the database does not exist.

Now the Adventure WorksDW database does exist, and I am a user on the
database with every role available, so makes me wonder what Productlist data
set is referring to and how I can give myself Query Execution permissions?

Help please
--
Steve G

On Thursday, June 05, 2008 12:31 PM
Antoo wrote:

did you check/test the datasource to see if it connects to the database?
did you check/test the datasource to see if it connects to the database?

"ezeget.com" wrote:

On Thursday, June 05, 2008 12:36 PM
ezeget.com200 wrote:

Thanks for speedy replyOnly way I could think of to do this was to try to
Thanks for speedy reply

Only way I could think of to do this was to try to generate a model, on
doing that I get almost identical error

An error occurred while generating model. (rsModelGenerationError) Get
Online Help An error occurred during the generation of semantic model :
[Create perspectives from cubes]Either the user, AVEVA\steve.giergiel, does
not have access to the Adventure WorksDW database, or the database does not
exist..
[Create perspectives from cubes]Either the user, AVEVA\steve.giergiel, does
not have access to the Adventure WorksDW database, or the database does not
exist.
Either the user, AVEVA\steve.giergiel, does not have access to the
Adventure WorksDW database, or the database does not exist.

Steve G

"Antoon" wrote:

On Thursday, June 05, 2008 12:42 PM
Antoo wrote:

Are you working in Visual Studio or in the report manager?
Are you working in Visual Studio or in the report manager?

VS: Go to the solution explorer and double click on the relevant data source
and check the credentials

RM: go to the data sources folder and edit the relevant datasource and check
the credentials

"ezeget.com" wrote:

On Friday, June 06, 2008 2:03 AM
changli wrote:

Hi Steve,To let us better understand your issue, would you mind first letting
Hi Steve,
To let us better understand your issue, would you mind first letting us
know what you were doing for your report? Did you mean that you encountered
the error when you were trying to create a report model?

In addition, I would like to add more information here for your reference:
1. Please check if you can manually access your database AdventureworksDW
with the user AVEVA\steve.giergiel from SSMS;
2. Check if your connection string in the data source in your report pionts
correctly to your SQL Server instance ( not other one);

After the above two steps finished, you can get a conclusion if this issue
was related to user permission on your database. If this issue is related
to user permission, please contact your database administrator to assign
db_owner to you. If you are the database administrator, please first logon
your SQL Server with a system administrator account from SSMS and then go
to Security->Logins folder to explicitly add the user AVEVA\steve.giergiel
as a login, and then select the "User Mapping" tab in the Login Properties
window, check your database AdventureworksDW, check db_owner and click OK.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to let me know if you have any other
questions or concerns. Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for
non-urgent issues where an initial response from the community
or a Microsoft Support Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable.
Please note that each follow up response may take approximately
2 business days as the support professional working with you may
need further investigation to reach the most efficient resolution.
The offering is not appropriate for situations
handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by
contacting Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at

On Friday, June 06, 2008 5:01 AM
ezeget.com200 wrote:

Hi Antoon,I am working in Report Manager, and the credentials are ok since
Hi Antoon,
I am working in Report Manager, and the credentials are ok since they are
mine.

And I have set my database role membership against the database concerned to
be a member of every single role available in SQL
that is I am
a db_accessadmin
a db_backupoperator
a db_datareader
a db_datawriter
a db_ddladmin
a db_owner
a db_securityadmin

so what is it complaining about I wonder

There must be something special about the Analysis Services database as all
the other reports work fine
--
Steve G

"Antoon" wrote:

On Friday, June 06, 2008 5:08 AM
ezeget.com200 wrote:

Hi Charles,in this case all I did was try to run the report in Report ManagerI
Hi Charles,

in this case all I did was try to run the report in Report Manager
I can access the database on that server as myself no problem and can set up
permissions etc

In fact I have set my database role membership against the database
concerned to be a member of every single role available in SQL
that is I am
a db_accessadmin
a db_backupoperator
a db_datareader
a db_datawriter
a db_ddladmin
a db_owner
a db_securityadmin

so what is it complaining about I wonder

There must be something special about the Analysis Services database as all
the other reports work fine
--
Steve G

""Charles Wang [MSFT]"" wrote:

On Monday, June 09, 2008 5:32 AM
changli wrote:

Hi Steve,Could you please confirm with me which data source you were using in
Hi Steve,
Could you please confirm with me which data source you were using in your
report, the OLTP database AdventureWorksDW (sample database) or a report
model created based on AdventureworksDW or an OLAP database named
"AdventureWorksDW" which you created for deploying your cubes?

If it is a report model, you can refer to this article to configure the
security settings:
Securing Models
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156505.aspx

For OLAP database security setting, you can refer to this article:
How to: Change the Data Warehouse Security Settings
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms244642(VS.80).aspx

For OLTP database, it should not be different from your settings on other
database. If you explicitly assign db_owner to your user account, this
should work fine.

From your description, it seemed that you were using a report model or an
OLAP database. Look forward to your confirmation.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to let me
know. Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your
comments and suggestions about how we can improve the
support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my manager
know what you think of the level of service provided. You can
send feedback directly to my manager at: msdnmg(a)microsoft.com.

On Monday, June 09, 2008 6:50 AM
ezeget.com200 wrote:

Charles All I am using are the sample reports supplied by Microsoft.
Charles
All I am using are the sample reports supplied by Microsoft. If you look at
the data source for the one I am having problems with

The connection type is Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services
the Data Source connection string is
Data Source="UKCHEt2096";Initial Catalog=Adventure WorksDW

I think the OLAP Aand OLTP links you gave refer to Team Foundation which is
totally irrelevant to Adventureworks I suspect!?

Regards
--
Steve G

""Charles Wang [MSFT]"" wrote:

On Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:27 AM
changli wrote:

Hi Steve,Sorry for bringing you any confusion.
Hi Steve,
Sorry for bringing you any confusion. An OLAP database refers to a database
stored in Analysis Services engine; while an OLTP database refers to a
database stored in SQL Server database engine. You can connect to an OLAP
database from SSMS by selecting "Server type" as "Analysis Services" and
inputting your server name and selecting Windows Authentication. While you
connect to an OLTP database from SSMS, you need to select "Server type" as
"Database Engine".

The query to an OLAP database in your dataset is required to use MDX
statement. Since your connection type is Microsoft SQL Server Analysis
Services, you have to specify an OLAP database for it.
If you had created an OLAP database named "AdventureWorksDW" in SSMS and
deploy your cubes to the OLAP database from Business Intelligence
Development Studio, you can specify it in your connection string for
Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services in your report. I will send you some
pictures via email for more detailed explanations.

If your AdventureWorksDW is just the sample database (OLTP) stored in
database engine, when you create the dataset with Analysis Services data
source, you should also encounter the same error.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your
comments and suggestions about how we can improve the
support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my manager
know what you think of the level of service provided. You can
send feedback directly to my manager at: msdnmg(a)microsoft.com.

On Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:35 AM
ezeget.com200 wrote:

Hi Charles,As far as I know it is the genuine olap database created fron
Hi Charles,
As far as I know it is the genuine olap database created fron analysis
services, but how can I check that please. Is there a sample analysis
services solution somewhere to download and recreate it again?
--
Steve G

""Charles Wang [MSFT]"" wrote:

On Thursday, June 12, 2008 8:49 AM
changli wrote:

Hi Steve,Thank you for your response.
Hi Steve,
Thank you for your response.

If you could not see "Adventure Works DW" database in SSMS when the server
type is Analysis Services, it indicates that the OLAP database has not been
created or deployed yet.

By default, during SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition/Enterprise Edition
installation, if you choose to install the OLAP database samples, the
Analysis Services projects will be installed into the folder C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Samples\AdventureWorks Analysis
Services Project\Enterprise. It is an Analysis Services Project, you need
to first open it in BIDS and then double click the data source "Adventure
Works.ds" to check if the connection string to your OLTP database
"AdventureWorksDW" is correct. After that, if you want to perform deploy
the OLAP database to a remote server, you need to right click the project,
click Properties, select Deployment under Configuration Properties, input
your Target server.
Then right click the top solution name "Adventure Works DW" and click
Deploy to deploy the OLAP database.

After that you can access the OLAP database from your report.

If the samples were not installed on your server, there is a public
download link at codeplex site:
http://www.codeplex.com/MSFTDBProdSamples/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?Relea
seId=4004
You can download this one: AdventureWorksBICI.msi

Please check it again. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or
concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your
comments and suggestions about how we can improve the
support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my manager
know what you think of the level of service provided. You can
send feedback directly to my manager at: msdnmg(a)microsoft.com.

On Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:51 AM
ezeget.com200 wrote:

Ok Charles, finally got the report to work, although I still failed to remote
Ok Charles, finally got the report to work, although I still failed to remote
deploy it to where I wanted, I managed to create the database using BIDS and
copied the RDL file into my SharePoint site and created the Data Source, and
now at least can see the sample Report.

I will leave this one now, and you can close it down, many thanks for your
assistance, much appreciated.

Cheers
--
Steve G

""Charles Wang [MSFT]"" wrote:

BOOK REVIEW: Effective C#, Second Edition [Addison Wesley]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/b2f8766d-a4c1-4d5a-97af-c38852b3b455/book-review-effective-c.aspx