From: Catherine White on
I run Quicken 2003 Premier Home & Business. Every blessed time I open the
program, I get the same pop-up box.

"Quicken is not currently the application configured for handing Web
Connect data. Would you like to make it the default application for any
Web Connect data that you download from your financial institution's web
site?"

I've used this program for a couple of years and see this same stupid box
every time it starts. I've searched the help files in the program and at
Intuit for a fix with no success.

I am just absolutely sick of this idiot message that I can't turn off.

Anybody out there have a fix for this PITA thing? Please??!!

TIA, Catherine
From: John Pollard on
Catherine White wrote:
> I run Quicken 2003 Premier Home & Business. Every blessed
> time I
> open the program, I get the same pop-up box.
>
> "Quicken is not currently the application configured for
> handing Web
> Connect data. Would you like to make it the default
> application for
> any Web Connect data that you download from your financial
> institution's web site?"
>
> I've used this program for a couple of years and see this same
> stupid
> box every time it starts. I've searched the help files in the
> program and at Intuit for a fix with no success.
>
> I am just absolutely sick of this idiot message that I can't
> turn off.
>

> Anybody out there have a fix for this PITA thing? Please??!!

The simplest possible fix is to answer "Yes".

If that does not eliminate the question; you need to change the
"application configured for handling Web Connect data", where
web-connect data refers to files with the ".qfx" extension.

You can change the program used to "open" ".qfx" files in
Windows Explorer, Tools > Folder Options > File Types; scroll
down to QFX and "change" the name of the program that "opens"
qfx files to point to the exact location (fully qualified file
name) of your Quicken application.

Normally, Quicken assigns the Quicken program to the .qfx
extension at installation; sometimes it fails, but I think you
can sometimes get it to work by removing the current assignment
in Windows Explorer (Advanced > (select "open") > Edit > clear
the "Application used to ..." field) then reinstalling Quicken.

--
John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com

From: Catherine White on
"John Pollard" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in news:W6etf.445210
$084.315022(a)attbi_s22:

> Catherine White wrote:
>> I run Quicken 2003 Premier Home & Business. Every blessed
>> time I
>> open the program, I get the same pop-up box.
>>
>> "Quicken is not currently the application configured for
>> handing Web
>> Connect data. Would you like to make it the default
>> application for
>> any Web Connect data that you download from your financial
>> institution's web site?"
>>
>> I've used this program for a couple of years and see this same
>> stupid
>> box every time it starts. I've searched the help files in the
>> program and at Intuit for a fix with no success.
>>
>> I am just absolutely sick of this idiot message that I can't
>> turn off.
>>

>> Anybody out there have a fix for this PITA thing? Please??!!
>
> The simplest possible fix is to answer "Yes".
>
> If that does not eliminate the question; you need to change the
> "application configured for handling Web Connect data", where
> web-connect data refers to files with the ".qfx" extension.
>
> You can change the program used to "open" ".qfx" files in
> Windows Explorer, Tools > Folder Options > File Types; scroll
> down to QFX and "change" the name of the program that "opens"
> qfx files to point to the exact location (fully qualified file
> name) of your Quicken application.
>
> Normally, Quicken assigns the Quicken program to the .qfx
> extension at installation; sometimes it fails, but I think you
> can sometimes get it to work by removing the current assignment
> in Windows Explorer (Advanced > (select "open") > Edit > clear
> the "Application used to ..." field) then reinstalling Quicken.

Thank you, John. This shows one weakness in my earlier query. I did not
make it clear that I do NOT WANT to utilize Quicken for any Web Connect
activity.

I do not download from financial institutions; stopped that years ago
after too many duplicates ended up taking me longer to weed and purge
than just entering the information straight.

And I do not trust Quicken (Intuit, really) to not go "behind my back" to
send and receive information over the web. So I simply don't want it to
have online access. I don't want it to be configured for Web Connect. I
just want it to stop asking me the bedamned question!

Thanks,
Catherine
From: John Pollard on
Catherine White wrote:

> Thank you, John. This shows one weakness in my earlier query.
> I did
> not make it clear that I do NOT WANT to utilize Quicken for
> any Web
> Connect activity.

It shows more than one weakness.

The only assumption I ever made from your original post was that
you did not want to see the prompt any more. Answering this
question (eliminating the question) has NOTHING to do with
whether you actually download anything.

You can tell Quicken that it is the default application to
handle web-connect downloads ... even though you never never
ever ever plan to, or actually do, any downloads to Quicken.
Getting rid of the question does not require you to ever
download anything.