From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:58:17 -0600:

>> I recently had to upgrade to 7.1 on my PC and was stuck with the execrable
>> emoticons. I could find no clean way to turn them off so I ended up renaming
>> the 3 folders that hold emoticons in the Eudora folder. That seems like a
>> pretty crappy solution. Is there a better one?

> Eudora.ini settings... (click to view or change your settings)
>
> <X-Eudora-Option:DisplayEmoticonsAsPictures> [on by default]
> <X-Eudora-Option:SendEmoticonsAsImages> [off by default]
> <X-Eudora-Option:EmoticonSizeInMessage> [n/a]
>
> I have all set to zero.
> It's probably sufficient to just set the first two to zero.

"SendEmoticonsAsImages" is off by default,
no matter what you see while composing,
for your own personal amusement (or in this case misery).

The original intent of the feature
is to send only the text characters to your recipients;
otherwise there would never have been any point at all
to showing those little character strings alongside the images,
and an "icon gallery" alone would have sufficed.

"DisplayEmoticonsAsPictures" is on by default, and causes
an icon to displayed wherever one of those embedded text strings
is found, while displaying either incoming or outgoing mail;
when you turn this option off, you thus get permanent relief for yourself.

"Display emoticons as pictures" is a check box in your "Display" options,
and does not even need one of those "internal settings links" to turn off.

This setting affects only you ("for your eyes only"),
and does not cause any images to be sent in your outgoing messages.

Every file name in each "Emoticons" folder (for each image size)
cleverly encodes both the emoticon's text character string
and its verbal description, enabling anyone to create his/her own set,
simply by stocking those folders with your own image files,
or with alternate file names.