From: David on
I have two computers.
One has Win/2K SP4 with Eudora 6.2
The other has Win/XP SP3 with Eudora 7

I have the same issue on both.

I had gone into Options and told Eudora to skip messages over 1000K in
size. This worked for a while until I realized the skipped email was
rapidly filling my allotment of storage on the email servers.

I removed the check in Options telling Eudora to skip messages over
1000K. There is now no limit on message size. Despite restoring "no
limit on message size", Eudora will not download the old, skipped
email on the servers. I have rebooted the PCs and restarted Eudora,
but this does not help.

Eudora must have a data file somewhere that's a list of email to be
skipped. Does anyone know where it is? I need to clear it out & get
the skipped email downloaded.

From: John H Meyers on
On 5/17/2010 2:58 PM, David wrote:

> I have two computers.
> One has Win/2K SP4 with Eudora 6.2
> The other has Win/XP SP3 with Eudora 7
>
> I have the same issue on both.
>
> I had gone into Options and told Eudora to skip messages over 1000K in
> size. This worked for a while until I realized the skipped email was
> rapidly filling my allotment of storage on the email servers.
>
> I removed the check in Options telling Eudora to skip messages over
> 1000K. There is now no limit on message size. Despite restoring "no
> limit on message size", Eudora will not download the old, skipped
> email on the servers. I have rebooted the PCs and restarted Eudora,
> but this does not help.

I have not seen any program go back and re-fetch previously handled messages
until _asked_ to do so -- in Eudora, this is done by changing
the "server status" of each message to one of the following:

Fetch -- download in full.
Delete -- delete from server, without downloading at all.
Fetch, then delete -- download and then delete from server.

In the above, "fetch" ignores any current size limit,
and "delete" ignores any current "leave on server" settings.

In "Tools" > "Mailboxes" make sure that "Server status" is marked,
then sort mailboxes by that column -- "yellow diamond road signs"
indicate messages that were partially downloaded and are still on server.
You can "select" all those, right-click and change the server status,
to either fetch them in full or simply delete without fetching at all,
and you can of course also do this selectively for different messages.

Individually opened messages (opened, not previewed) still on a POP server
also contain, just to the right of the "pencil" button,
a "trashcan" button for "delete from server"
and, if applicable (only if not yet fully downloaded),
a "fetch/download" button for fetching the entire message
(depress both buttons to "fetch, then delete").

All status changes made in these ways are acted upon during the next
"check for new mail" from the same POP server.

Of course, you can also cause _all_ mail on a POP server
to be fetched as "new" by deleting the LMOS.DAT file(s)
for the given personality -- note that this will
non-selectively fetch _all_ mail currently on the server,
even if _fully_ downloaded earlier, and offers no opportunity
to delete unwanted mail without fetching at all.

From: David on
John:

I did use your advice and I deleted the lmos.dat file. This worked
perfectly and Eudora downloaded all the messages from my email server.

Thanks for the advice.

David

From: mm on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 15:58:37 -0400, David wrote:

>I have two computers.
>One has Win/2K SP4 with Eudora 6.2
>The other has Win/XP SP3 with Eudora 7
>
>I have the same issue on both.
>
>I had gone into Options and told Eudora to skip messages over 1000K in
>size. This worked for a while until I realized the skipped email was
>rapidly filling my allotment of storage on the email servers.
>
>I removed the check in Options telling Eudora to skip messages over
>1000K. There is now no limit on message size. Despite restoring "no
>limit on message size", Eudora will not download the old, skipped
>email on the servers. I have rebooted the PCs and restarted Eudora,
>but this does not help.
>
>Eudora must have a data file somewhere that's a list of email to be
>skipped. Does anyone know where it is? I need to clear it out & get
>the skipped email downloaded.

I have my limit set for 40K iirc and this avoids most viruses
(although some are as small as 11k, but my virus checker hasn't
alerted in months.)

I have an icon in the tool bar for Fetch the email. I either delete
eamils I won't want, or fetch them. (except in mailboxes I don't loook
at, where it does pile up like you say, especially teh one where
everyone trades PowerPoint etc.)

You can take any command and add it to the toolbar with Customize
Toolbar.