From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:05:57 -0600, AroundTheWorld wrote:

> If I write "I lookfor"
> I have to put a space between "look" and "for"
> [but inserting the space instead overwrites the next letter]
> I have to click "Ins" key on keyboard.Why do I get this problem?

Because the "Insert" key toggles between "insert" and "overwrite,"
just as it does in some other editing applications,
so that you can choose to just replace characters, when you want to,
vs. to insert characters, when you want to do that instead.

The letters "OVR" appear at the far right on Eudora's "Status bar"
(at the bottom of the application window)
when its editor is in "overwrite" mode, so it is useful
to make sure that the Status bar is displayed,
because it displays a lot of useful information all the time.

Some editors change the typing cursor too,
which is harder to overlook,
but Eudora's editor relies solely on the "OVR" status indicator,
way over on the bottom right, on a Status bar which you can turn off,
thus you need to make yourself more aware of it.

You can also "lock" Eudora to always be in "insert mode":

Insert the following line into a Eudora message,
then click on it while pressing the [Alt] keyboard key,
then click the [OK] button:

<X-Eudora-Option:AllowOverwriteMode=0>

You may need to restart Eudora,
then its internal editor will remain locked in "insert" mode,
ignoring the keyboard [Insert] key.

From: AroundTheWorld on
Hi, thanks for your detailed reply but I don't understand. I'm sorry.
In my Eudora I see "Status bar" (on the bottom) but I don't se any
info.
I inform you I need to use the cursor of mouse only to widen the space
of writings on the right. What have to do please?
Thanks

From: Jim Higgins on
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:59:31 +0100, AroundTheWorld
<AroundTheWorld(a)DELETEinterfree.it> wrote:

>Hi, thanks for your detailed reply but I don't understand. I'm sorry.
>In my Eudora I see "Status bar" (on the bottom) but I don't see any
>info. I inform you I need to use the cursor of mouse only to widen
>the space of writings on the right. What have to do please?
>Thanks

Run Eudora and then come back here and click on the following.
<X-Eudora-Option:AllowOverwriteMode=0>

In the "Change Option" box that should appear (you may need to swap
back to Eudora to see it), click OK.

Now when you are composing messages, any characters you enter
(including spaces) will push any following characters to the right
rather than overwriting them.
--
Please don't be a "Help Vampire"
http://slash7.com/pages/vampires
From: John H Meyers on
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:59:31 -0600, AroundTheWorld wrote:

> What have to do please?

You had answered yourself before your first post: Press INSERT

Or, click on what was posted earlier, which Jim Higgins just repeated.

Editing in Gmail, or typing into any web form (text box),
does exactly the same with INSERT, so you will encounter this same thing
for as long as you use computers, or the internet
(until you no longer type, but just talk to them :)

From: AroundTheWorld on
>Run Eudora and then come back here and click on the following.
><X-Eudora-Option:AllowOverwriteMode=0>

Thanks the link has worked. ;)