From: Midhun Girish on
hey ash,

do we need both of those checks ? ie the time and the flag? i think they
both do the same thing ie prevent duplicates.. am i right? and i think flag
would be a more reliable method coz it will ensure that the email will be
send even if the cron fails to execute for some time,....

Midhun Girish
Development Lead
MobAlive Technologies
Trivandrum

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 14:28 +0530, Midhun Girish wrote:

> hey ash,
>
> do we need both of those checks ? ie the time and the flag? i think they
> both do the same thing ie prevent duplicates.. am i right? and i think flag
> would be a more reliable method coz it will ensure that the email will be
> send even if the cron fails to execute for some time,....
>
> Midhun Girish
> Development Lead
> MobAlive Technologies
> Trivandrum
>

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

> > into
> > time,
> > database,
> > at

> > I've
> > PHP
> > that is
> > the

> > > I think what you want is something to trigger a php script every
> > > $period-of-time; if your host supports it, cron is the means of executing
> > > an application at regular intervals down to a minute granularity. There
> > are
> > > some web-based cron services also, but they may not have the same
> > > granularity as a locally based cron.
> > >

> > > Cheers
> > > --
> > > David Robley
> > >
> > > "Wow!" barked Tom, with a bow.
> > > Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 1st day of Discord in the YOLD 3176.
> > >

> > You could store the end times in the database, and cron can run a script
> > that will check each of these times to find any that are within x
> > minutes that an email hasn't been sent out for. You'll need an extra
> > field to indicate whether an email has been sent or not.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Consider a cron script that runs every 10 minutes. You'll want to check
the db for cars that are due to arrive within just over 10 minutes. The
flag is there more for you own clarification that the email has been
sent. What if the cron fails, or you restart your server, or the script
your cron calls is just running a little slowly?

From: Midhun Girish on
ok so we have a script which checks if any cars have arrived within last 10
minutes... if yes, a mail will be send..... suppose the server fails for 30
minutes.... so when the cron comes next time, we will have to check for cars
which arrived within last 40 minutes and not 10.. right... so how will we
set a time limit in the script? its variable na.. but the flag is ok.. you
can send a mail to all db entries which have flag 0 and then update the flag
to 1.

Midhun Girish
Development Lead
MobAlive Technologies

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Ashley Sheridan

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 14:40 +0530, Midhun Girish wrote:

> ok so we have a script which checks if any cars have arrived within
> last 10 minutes... if yes, a mail will be send..... suppose the server
> fails for 30 minutes.... so when the cron comes next time, we will
> have to check for cars which arrived within last 40 minutes and not
> 10.. right... so how will we set a time limit in the script? its
> variable na.. but the flag is ok.. you can send a mail to all db
> entries which have flag 0 and then update the flag to 1.
>

> Midhun Girish
> Development Lead
> MobAlive Technologies
>

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
>

> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 14:28 +0530, Midhun Girish wrote:
>
> > hey ash,
> >
> > do we need both of those checks ? ie the time and the flag? i think they
> > both do the same thing ie prevent duplicates.. am i right? and i think flag
> > would be a more reliable method coz it will ensure that the email will be
> > send even if the cron fails to execute for some time,....
> >
> > Midhun Girish
> > Development Lead
> > MobAlive Technologies
> > Trivandrum
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> > <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

> > > into
> > > time,
> > > database,
> > > at

> > > I've
> > > PHP
> > > that is
> > > the

> > > are

> > > You could store the end times in the database, and cron can run a script
> > > that will check each of these times to find any that are within x
> > > minutes that an email hasn't been sent out for. You'll need an extra
> > > field to indicate whether an email has been sent or not.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ash
> > > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> > >

> Consider a cron script that runs every 10 minutes. You'll want
> to check the db for cars that are due to arrive within just
> over 10 minutes. The flag is there more for you own
> clarification that the email has been sent. What if the cron
> fails, or you restart your server, or the script your cron
> calls is just running a little slowly?
>

> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Just search for anything that has a date previous to the current
(indicating the car arrived)

From: Lester Caine on
Alex Major wrote:
> I'm currently looking at building a web application, however I've run into
> an area of development I've not come across before. The web site in its
> basic form allows users to send cars from a point and then the car will
> arrive at another point. When the car is set on its way, the start time,
> travel duration and end time are all known and stored in a MySQL database,

The question HAS to be asked ... how do you know the actual travel time ;)
I think I would be expecting to have to enter something on arrival ....

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL