From: Midhun Girish on
rene "a page with an ajax script that kicks off the check-for-recent-events
script on the server".. but that method is highly non reliable.... i dont
think anyone will take that risk especially for an important web app....
cron or any equivalent which runs on the server must be used instead of
that..

Midhun Girish
Development Lead
MobAlive Technologies

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 18:28 +0530, Midhun Girish wrote:

> rene "a page with an ajax script that kicks off the check-for-recent-events
> script on the server".. but that method is highly non reliable.... i dont
> think anyone will take that risk especially for an important web app....
> cron or any equivalent which runs on the server must be used instead of
> that..
>

> Midhun Girish
> Development Lead
> MobAlive Technologies
>

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Jochem Maas <jochem(a)iamjochem.com> wrote:
>
> > Op 3/15/10 12:00 PM, David Hutto schreef:

> > made...

> > CLI

> > > I do believe removing the /dev/null will send error messages during the
> > > building of the script, correct?
> > >

> > the '&> /dev/null' redirects all output - I kind of make the assumption
> > that the
> > script would be logging stuff to a file or something when in production.
> >
> > so, yes, remove the redirection when your developing/testing the script.

I agree. Even setting a cron on a local computer to call home to a
server script would be preferable to Ajax calls.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: "Alex Major" on
Thanks to all for your help on this, it's been very interesting for me to
read.

The system needs to check arrivals in real time (give or take a second or
two), using a cron job every minute doesn't provide the real time checking I
would like.

However, when I then got to thinking about it, wouldn't this be an ideal
solution? I create a PHP script that loops for 60 seconds, checking the
database each second for new entries and processing them (meaning I get near
real time monitoring), and then have that PHP script called by a cron job
every minute.

The reason I think that could be a good solution for me, is that if the PHP
script crashed (for any reason), then at most it's 59 seconds before the
system kicks in again and begins processing all the queued arrivals. If I
coded a PHP script to loop infinitely processing things every second, it's
possible I wouldn't notice a crash for a considerable amount of time. The
proposed solution provides a good fail-safe, I think.

Does that solution seem sensible? Or overkill?

Thanks again for your help in this, it's quite novel for me.

From: Paul M Foster on
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 05:38:04PM -0000, Alex Major wrote:

> Thanks to all for your help on this, it's been very interesting for me to
> read.
>
> The system needs to check arrivals in real time (give or take a second or
> two), using a cron job every minute doesn't provide the real time checking I
> would like.
>
> However, when I then got to thinking about it, wouldn't this be an ideal
> solution? I create a PHP script that loops for 60 seconds, checking the
> database each second for new entries and processing them (meaning I get near
> real time monitoring), and then have that PHP script called by a cron job
> every minute.
>
> The reason I think that could be a good solution for me, is that if the PHP
> script crashed (for any reason), then at most it's 59 seconds before the
> system kicks in again and begins processing all the queued arrivals. If I
> coded a PHP script to loop infinitely processing things every second, it's
> possible I wouldn't notice a crash for a considerable amount of time. The
> proposed solution provides a good fail-safe, I think.
>
> Does that solution seem sensible? Or overkill?
>
> Thanks again for your help in this, it's quite novel for me.

I would think that the PHP CLI extension would need to be installed on
the server for this to work. I don't know that that's common. (I could
be completely wrong.)

I would recommend coding this in C, because it would use far less
resources.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
From: Gabriel Sosa on
Indeed. This is kinda offtopic but if you put a cron running with a
loop you will kill your server. I would recomend use libevent + ALARM
signal to process on a time basis. On the other hand using C would be
a nice aproach since you can put your script on an sleep mode until
the next alarm signal is trigered + less resources taken

Saludos

On 3/15/10, Paul M Foster <paulf(a)quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 05:38:04PM -0000, Alex Major wrote:
>
>> Thanks to all for your help on this, it's been very interesting for me to
>> read.
>>
>> The system needs to check arrivals in real time (give or take a second or
>> two), using a cron job every minute doesn't provide the real time checking
>> would like.
>>
>> However, when I then got to thinking about it, wouldn't this be an ideal
>> solution? I create a PHP script that loops for 60 seconds, checking the
>> database each second for new entries and processing them (meaning I get
>> near
>> real time monitoring), and then have that PHP script called by a cron job
>> every minute.
>>
>> The reason I think that could be a good solution for me, is that if the
>> PHP
>> script crashed (for any reason), then at most it's 59 seconds before the
>> system kicks in again and begins processing all the queued arrivals. If I
>> coded a PHP script to loop infinitely processing things every second, it's
>> possible I wouldn't notice a crash for a considerable amount of time. The
>> proposed solution provides a good fail-safe, I think.
>>
>> Does that solution seem sensible? Or overkill?
>>
>> Thanks again for your help in this, it's quite novel for me.
>
> I would think that the PHP CLI extension would need to be installed on
> the server for this to work. I don't know that that's common. (I could
> be completely wrong.)
>
> I would recommend coding this in C, because it would use far less
> resources.
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul M. Foster

Sent from my mobile device

Gabriel Sosa
Si buscas resultados distintos, no hagas siempre lo mismo. - Einstein
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Splitting a string ...
Next: ldap_bind() connectivity