From: Brian O'Neil on
I have an Exchange 2003 SP1 Cluster, patched to the teeth. It is the new
server in an organization (test env.). This server was not recieving any
public folder replicas that were assigned to it so I turned up transport
logging to minimum. Now I get an event 7004 need to auth first. This server
gets one message for each exchange server in the org with the IP of each in
the event.
I've run through KB 843106 and verified my permissions were valid: they're
very simple as this is a test lab.
I reset the computer accounts of all machines with Netdom.
I even totally removed the cluster and brought it back (with the same name,
but did a graceful removal prior) and I still get the same issue.
I am not getting any unusual events (other than MTA 3051).
I did a netmon trace and so no unusual activity other than a series of
r-logon bad opcode message between this server and the DC.

What else can I diagnose without dropping $250 to call PSS?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeTransport
Event Category: SMTP Protocol
Event ID: 7004
Date: 2/17/2005
Time: 6:00:01 PM
User: N/A
Computer: NAEXCN01
This is an SMTP protocol error log for virtual server ID 1, connection #4.
The remote host "x.x.x.x", responded to the SMTP command "xexch50" with "504
Need to authenticate first ". The full command sent was "XEXCH50 2992 2 ".
This will probably cause the connection to fail.

From: Ade Famoti [MSFT] on
Hello Brian,

Is this a Microsoft Windows Cluster solution ?

From: Brian O'Neil on
Yes it is a Cluster. I broke down and called PSS adn it looks like we have
resolved the problem. The Access this computer from the network policy failed
to include the authenticated users group. I included this group in the
default domain policy and it all works.
-Bri