From: Jose on
On May 29, 2:00 pm, petergoode <petergo...(a)discussions-microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I was not sure in which forum to post this question, so please just let me
> know if I need to move it elsewhere.
>
> I noted about a month ago that IE 8 was loading very slowly on my XP Pro SP3
> system.  I finally got around to checking Event Viewer, and noted two
> separate problems appearing at about the same time.
>
> The first per applications is a recurring crypt32 error, with this
> additional explanation:  Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root
> list sequence number from:http://www.download.windows,update.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/tr...with error:  This network connection does not exist.
>
> I have absolutely no idea what this means, or how to fix it.  IE does load
> after waiting about 20 seconds, but I would guess it would load normally if I
> could address this.
>
> On the other hand, at about the same time, system events began to list
> repetitive "SideBySide" error messages as well with further description:
> "Generate Activation Context failed for
> c:\progra~1\Citrix\ICACLI~1\MFC80.DLL. Refereence error message:  The
> operation completed successfully.
>
> So, maybe somehow I ended up with a couple corrupted files at once?
>
> Maybe system restore would be a good idea?
>
> Thanks greatly if anyone can shed light on this.
>
> --
> Peter

Maybe SR will work - maybe not - and what would you do next if SR does
not resolve your issue? SR is not a time machine.

Here is a method to post the specific information about individual
events.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System.
Some logs may be almost or completely empty. Not every event is a
problem, some are informational messages that things are working okay
and some are warnings. No event should defy reasonable explanation.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time. Errors will have red Xs,
Warnings will have yellow !s. Information messages have white is.
Not every Error or Warning event means there is a serious issue. Some
are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting. Try to find
just the events at the date and time around your problem.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with
more information. On the right are black up and down arrow buttons to
scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like two
pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your
Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of
your issue, click the third button under the up and down arrows to
copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click,
Paste or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can choose to clear
the log (backing up the log is offered), then reproduce your issue,
then look at just the events around the time of your issue.

Here are a couple exampls of what the information from the Event Log
should look like - even a SideBySide error but may not be the same as
yours (it is an example). We need to see your exact message(s) (looks
like you have a typos in yours so this method will let you post the
exact message).

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SideBySide
Event ID: 59
Date: 1/13/2008
Time: 9:33:55 PM
User: N/A
Computer: LT6
Generate Activation Context failed for c:\windows
\system32\winlogon.exe. Reference error message:
The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SideBySide
Event Category: None
Event ID: 32
Date: 1/13/2008
Time: 9:33:55 PM
User: N/A
Computer: LT6
Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last
Error
was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

To eliminate questions and guessing, please provide additional
information about your system.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
delete it from the pasted information.

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining
issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.