From: TATrader on
I wrote a sample helloworld app to test event handling in WM6.1 and
used remote spy to view the messages and still wound up adrift on
confusion island.I used an HTC Touch Pro 2 AKA Rhodium for this
exercise which runs WM6.1 Pro.

Background of what I tried and saw in my app.

Used sample helloworld as is and executed on phone. Pressed and held a
spot on the screen and flicked. I got messages related to cursor hits
and an undetermined 0x0119 message fairly periodically.

Altered the styles parameter for CreateWindow to include WM_VSCROLL
and redid the above test. Got the same result.

Used another program that had a custom window class. Used remote spy
to see messages to that window handle. When no scrollbar was visible
it messaged similar to my app. Suddenly by putting enough text into
the window the scrollbar becomes visible. But here is the confusion.
Doing the same press, delay, then flick sequence gives me completely
different windows messages. I do not get the cursor messages or
inexplicable 0x0119 messages. Instead I get a series of WM_VSCROLL
messages with line up or down parameters which are approximately
mapped to the force of my movement. This is more desirable to me and I
can't figure out from the docs on how to enable this with the WM6.1
Pro SDK. Since I spy on the window I know they are not getting the
cursor and 0x0119 messages and translating them. Is there something I
have to tell WM to give me the scroll messages instead? Do HTC
arbitrarily look at the gesture and focus control and conditionally
decide which event to send under their own rules? Thanks for any info
and pointers you can lend!
From: TATrader on
On Aug 28, 3:21 pm, TATrader <tatra...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote a sample helloworld app to test event handling in WM6.1 and
> used remote spy to view the messages and still wound up adrift on
> confusion island.I used an HTC Touch Pro 2 AKA Rhodium for this
> exercise which runs WM6.1 Pro.
>
> Background of what I tried and saw in my app.
>
> Used sample helloworld as is and executed on phone. Pressed and held a
> spot on the screen and flicked. I got messages related to cursor hits
> and an undetermined 0x0119 message fairly periodically.
>
> Altered the styles parameter for CreateWindow to include WM_VSCROLL
> and redid the above test. Got the same result.
>
> Used another program that had a custom window class. Used remote spy
> to see messages to that window handle. When no scrollbar was visible
> it messaged similar to my app. Suddenly by putting enough text into
> the window the scrollbar becomes visible. But here is the confusion.
> Doing the same press, delay, then flick sequence gives me completely
> different windows messages. I do not get the cursor messages or
> inexplicable 0x0119 messages. Instead I get a series of WM_VSCROLL
> messages with line up or down parameters which are approximately
> mapped to the force of my movement. This is more desirable to me and I
> can't figure out from the docs on how to enable this with the WM6.1
> Pro SDK. Since I spy on the window I know they are not getting the
> cursor and 0x0119 messages and translating them. Is there something I
> have to tell WM to give me the scroll messages instead? Do HTC
> arbitrarily look at the gesture and focus control and conditionally
> decide which event to send under their own rules? Thanks for any info
> and pointers  you can lend!

One ttypo in above. CreateWindow added WS_VSCROLL but neither in my
app gave me the nice WM_VSCROLL messages according to the swiped
gesture as noted in the other app.
From: rlsmith on
"TATrader" <tatrader(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Used another program that had a custom window class. Used remote spy
> to see messages to that window handle. When no scrollbar was visible
> it messaged similar to my app. Suddenly by putting enough text into
> the window the scrollbar becomes visible. But here is the confusion.
> Doing the same press, delay, then flick sequence gives me completely
> different windows messages. I do not get the cursor messages or
> inexplicable 0x0119 messages. Instead I get a series of WM_VSCROLL
> messages with line up or down parameters which are approximately
> mapped to the force of my movement. This is more desirable to me and I
> can't figure out from the docs on how to enable this with the WM6.1
> Pro SDK. Since I spy on the window I know they are not getting the
> cursor and 0x0119 messages and translating them. Is there something I
> have to tell WM to give me the scroll messages instead? Do HTC
> arbitrarily look at the gesture and focus control and conditionally
> decide which event to send under their own rules? Thanks for any info
> and pointers you can lend!

Since WM6.1 does not natively support gestures, is it possible the
application with the custom window class implements its own gesture
detection by interpreting mousebutton and mousemove messages, then fires off
WM_VSCROLL to make the control scroll? That would explain why you are not
seeing the same messages for your application.

From: TATrader on
On Sep 8, 10:40 am, "rlsmith" <rlsmith(a)cacidotcom> wrote:
> "TATrader" <tatra...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Used another program that had a custom window class. Used remote spy
> > to see messages to that window handle. When no scrollbar was visible
> > it messaged similar to my app. Suddenly by putting enough text into
> > the window the scrollbar becomes visible. But here is the confusion.
> > Doing the same press, delay, then flick sequence gives me completely
> > different windows messages. I do not get the cursor messages or
> > inexplicable 0x0119 messages. Instead I get a series of WM_VSCROLL
> > messages with line up or down parameters which are approximately
> > mapped to the force of my movement. This is more desirable to me and I
> > can't figure out from the docs on how to enable this with the WM6.1
> > Pro SDK. Since I spy on the window I know they are not getting the
> > cursor and 0x0119 messages and translating them. Is there something I
> > have to tell WM to give me the scroll messages instead? Do HTC
> > arbitrarily look at the gesture and focus control and conditionally
> > decide which event to send under their own rules? Thanks for any info
> > and pointers  you can lend!
>
> Since WM6.1 does not natively support gestures, is it possible the
> application with the custom window class implements its own gesture
> detection by interpreting mousebutton and mousemove messages, then fires off
> WM_VSCROLL to make the control scroll?  That would explain why you are not
> seeing the same messages for your application.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you, I had a feeling this may be the case. However, I expected
to see the mouse messaging occur in at least one of the parent
windows. I did remote spy on each of the 4 windows contained in the
app and did not locate mouse messaging. I don't know where spy hooks
in to the message pump, so maybe there's some custom logic that does
the translating inside the app as you describe that is also outside
the scope of where the spy hook exists. Maybe in the traditional
message pump/loop where TranslateMessage and the like traditionally
get called. More stuff for me to look into to see how to get messages
before and prevent Spy from seeing them.

Pages: 1
Prev: DirectDraw
Next: Pocket IE HTML Table Issues?!