From: Larry Serflaten on

"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote
> Those were all too easy. Except for the last one of course. I got nothing.
> <g>

I wanted them easy, on appearance, but the more experience a person has, the
more detailed the answers get. For example:

How many elements does the array have: Dim A(5) As Byte

Some might try to give an answer (6), but it really depends on the Option Base
setting, which the experienced would mention. Or:

List some of the tools the IDE provides to help debug a program.

Some may mention the Debug object, the Immediate window, or the ability
to step through code. More experienced coders might also mention breakpoints,
the call stack, the watch window, etc....

The purpose is to see how much experience the person has. So for the 'easy'
questions the novice would have an 'easy' answer, but the answers from
experienced coders would be more complete....

Now read it again and see if you can give complete answers! ;-)

LFS

From: bitshifter on
I'll add some of those. However, the reason for the test was to filter
out arm-chair programmer from the hands-on one. Code lawyers did not
interest us much.

From: Bob Butler on
<bitshifter(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I'll add some of those. However, the reason for the test was to filter
> out arm-chair programmer from the hands-on one. Code lawyers did not
> interest us much.

I'd consider questions about things like the NewIndex, List and ItemData
properties of the listbox; the RowData, ColData, MouseRow, & MouseCol of the
MSFlexGrid; the common dialog control vs the common dialog API; resizing
forms (+ subclassing); Form QueryUnload/Unload/Terminate/etc; using
WithEvents; createobject vs New and early vs late binding; ....

I just wish the VB.Net designers had had to pass a test on VB before being
put to work.

From: Helmut Meukel on
as Larry said some amswers are wrong.

The question below and the given answers are especially sloppy.
> What is wrong with this code?
>
> Dim n as long
> n = 5
> MyFunction(n)
> Private MyFunction(byval nVar as integer) as integer
> <Do something fun>
> End Function
>
> ---ANSWER
>
> n is a Long, the function calls for an Integer.
> It will work due to VB evil coercion but when the passed value
> exceeds the integer range (32,767 to -32,768), an error "Type
> mismatch" will occurs.
>
> Extra points:
> If the "byval" is absent from the function definition, then you get a
> compile error Byref type argument mismatch.

If you add the missing keyword Function, the extra points answer is still
wrong: you won't get the compile error if "byval" is absent, due to sloppy
programming in the line
MyFunction(n)
If you past this statement into the IDE, it will slightly correct it to:
MyFunction (n)
Then VB will treat (n) as an expression and happily convert it to
an Integer, if possible.
When caring for the return value it should read
IntRetValue = MyFunction(n)
otherwise
MyFunction n

Due to its use (the function code provides no return value and the calling
procedure dosn't care for a return value) it should be declared as Sub.
The calling sequence would then read
Call MySub(n)
or
MySub n

Helmut.

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-02-15, Bob Butler <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote:
><bitshifter(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> I'll add some of those. However, the reason for the test was to filter
>> out arm-chair programmer from the hands-on one. Code lawyers did not
>> interest us much.
>
> I'd consider questions about things like the NewIndex, List and ItemData
> properties of the listbox; the RowData, ColData, MouseRow, & MouseCol of the
> MSFlexGrid; the common dialog control vs the common dialog API; resizing
> forms (+ subclassing); Form QueryUnload/Unload/Terminate/etc; using
> WithEvents; createobject vs New and early vs late binding; ....
>
> I just wish the VB.Net designers had had to pass a test on VB before being
> put to work.

LOL... So tempting... You realize that in almost every thing you mentioned
..NET makes VB6 look pathetic right?

--
Tom Shelton