From: David Kaye on
"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)usinternet.com> wrote:

>On the whole, I felt there were too many questions about Option Base
>and arrays, when there are other questions that would likewise be good
>indicators of general knowlege.

When I was interviewing programmers I gave an open book test, given that
that's how we work in the real world. The applicant could use any help menus,
any books, etc. In fact, they could use any method of getting a simple job
done (accessing a database, searching for first and last name, and putting the
results into some sort of display on the screen in alphabetical order).

It was simply amazing how many people -- most of them -- couldn't do that
under those easy circumstances.

From: bitshifter on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 01:57:06 +0100, "Helmut Meukel"
<NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote:
And would you believe that this exam went through about a dozen
commenter before I reposted it.
I think that was a year ago...

From: bitshifter on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:23:16 -0800, Tom Shelton
<tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote:

>On 2010-02-15, Bob Butler <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote:

>> I'd consider questions about things like the NewIndex, List and ItemData
>> properties of the listbox; the RowData, ColData, MouseRow, & MouseCol of the
>> MSFlexGrid; the common dialog control vs the common dialog API; resizing
>> forms (+ subclassing); Form QueryUnload/Unload/Terminate/etc; using
>> WithEvents; createobject vs New and early vs late binding; ....
>>
>> I just wish the VB.Net designers had had to pass a test on VB before being
>> put to work.
>>

>LOL... So tempting... You realize that in almost every thing you mentioned
>.NET makes VB6 look pathetic right?

....as is your attempt at belittling our love object.

I know the limits of VB6.
Up to now I haven't met anything that I could not do with it unless
that thing *had* to be written in Assembler (perish the thought.)

I wonder what is the percentage of VB6 programmers who moved from VB6
to VB Fred.
Better, how about a table citing all who moved from VB6 (as 100%) with
their new target language, all in number and percent...

I wonder...

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-02-15, bitshifter(a)sympatico.ca <bitshifter(a)sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:23:16 -0800, Tom Shelton
><tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-02-15, Bob Butler <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote:
>
>>> I'd consider questions about things like the NewIndex, List and ItemData
>>> properties of the listbox; the RowData, ColData, MouseRow, & MouseCol of the
>>> MSFlexGrid; the common dialog control vs the common dialog API; resizing
>>> forms (+ subclassing); Form QueryUnload/Unload/Terminate/etc; using
>>> WithEvents; createobject vs New and early vs late binding; ....
>>>
>>> I just wish the VB.Net designers had had to pass a test on VB before being
>>> put to work.
>>>

>>LOL... So tempting... You realize that in almost every thing you mentioned
>>.NET makes VB6 look pathetic right?
>
> ...as is your attempt at belittling our love object.

I wasn't belittling VB6 - but the features called out are much more advanced
in .NET then they are in VB6.

> I know the limits of VB6.
> Up to now I haven't met anything that I could not do with it unless
> that thing *had* to be written in Assembler (perish the thought.)
>
> I wonder what is the percentage of VB6 programmers who moved from VB6
> to VB Fred.

Probably quite a few. I would guess more then half.

> Better, how about a table citing all who moved from VB6 (as 100%) with
> their new target language, all in number and percent...

Well we know the number isn't 100%. Obviously, since this group exists there
are some that haven't moved from VB6 at all. Some that have haven't gone the
..NET route. I know that some have moved to Delphi - in fact, I was talking to
a delphi user at the .net users group meeting (they use prism which is .net
for delphi) and they have a gained several vb6 users. I know some moved to
java.

--
Tom Shelton
From: Ralph on
bitshifter(a)sympatico.ca wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 01:57:06 +0100, "Helmut Meukel"
> <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote:
> And would you believe that this exam went through about a dozen
> commenter before I reposted it.
> I think that was a year ago...

Hmmmm, perhaps you need to re-evalute them?

-ralph
<g>