From: Ginger on
I'm trying to make a formula for a list to check and strike out another on 3
sheets. Only 2 are using the info, sheet 3 has various colums to check.

Sheet 2
A B
dog yes
cat (blank)

Sheet 3
A C E etc...
Dog(striked) Blank Dog(striked)

If sheet 2, B is yes then check Sheet 3 colums and strike them out or change
color. Hope
that made sense. Similar to a called off list.

Please help me if you can.
TIA
Ginger

From: tompl on
If you are familiar with conditional formatting you could apply conditional
formatting using a formula similar to this:
“=IF(VLOOKUP(A1,'Sheet 2'!A:B,2,FALSE)="yes",TRUE,FALSE)
where A1 is the cell being formatted. Then choose the strikethrough format
for when the condition is true.

Tom

From: "David Biddulph" groups [at] on
You don't need IF(...,TRUE,FALSE)
The formula =(VLOOKUP(A1,'Sheet 2'!A:B,2,FALSE)="yes" will already return
the Boolean values TRUE or FALSE, so your IF function adds nothing.
--
David Biddulph

From: Ginger on
Thanks but still not working. Excel takes the conditional formula but the
sheet isn't changing. I tried both formulas with the same results. Any other
suggestions? I could email it to one of you?

From: "David Biddulph" groups [at] on
I was commenting on tompl's formula in isolation, rather than on its
suitability as an answer to your question, as he had snipped your question
when he gave the answer. Looking at the full story, it doesn't look as if
either version would work for you (even correcting the obvious parenthesis
mismatch in my answer), at least on my version of Excel (2007), as CF
doesn't allow criteria that refer to other worksheets in that way. I'm
surprised that you say "Excel takes the conditional formula but the sheet
isn't changing.", as in my case Excel will not accept the formula as a
criterion.

Perhaps tompl may wish to reconsider his answer, or perhaps it only works on
some versions of Excel?
--
David Biddulph