From: shaz on
I am using Excel 2003 and would like to understand what File search is
searching on when the Property box is set to Text or Property and how this
differs to Contents? What exactly is Property? Thanks
From: bman on
All of your MS documents, whether Word, Excel, Publisher, etc. have
Properties, that is characteristics about the file that the Operating System
uses and/or captures, e.g the date created, type of file, date accessed, etc.
You can also enter custom data about the file yourself. This is under
FILE|PROPERTIES, in all your MS Windows apps. Take a look at it.

When you do an advanced file search you can search all of these places of
information "Properties" in addition to the Content of the file you may be
looking for, or you can be specific, by selecting the specific Property.
When you select Text or Property the search is going through the files, apps,
etc, and their Properties according to the conditions you set. If you just
want to look for data that is in a file just do a Basic search. In Excel,
(or other Windows apps) when you do the FILE|FILESEARCH it is just a short
cut to Windows browser, e.g. Explorer, where this can also be initiated, and
will search the conten"t of your hard drive, or whatever location you
specify.

See Help menu under "about finding files.

If you are just looking for information in the specific Excel file you have
open, use EDIT|FIND

Hope this helps

"shaz" wrote:

> I am using Excel 2003 and would like to understand what File search is
> searching on when the Property box is set to Text or Property and how this
> differs to Contents? What exactly is Property? Thanks

Pages: 1
Prev: Printing makes window inactive
Next: Series button