From: Fonebone on
Using: Excel 2007

I want to document Windows Group Policy settings side by side on a single
sheet. To accomplish this task I want to return the row number of the current
sheet where the data of the row that has an exact match. The data I want to
lookup is in three colums.

Example:
Column B | Column C | Column D
Policy | Control Panel | Load a specific visual style
Policy | Desktop | Do not add shares
Policy | Desktop | Hide Network Locations icon
Policy | Desktop | Prohibit User from manually redirecting
Policy | Desktop | Remove the Desktop Cleanup Wizard

What I want to query: I want the row number to be returned where I've got an
exact match on a single row within the active worksheet.

Example: Give me the row number where "Column B = Policy" and "Column C =
Desktop" and "Column D = Do not add shares".

I do make a remark that the columns are NOT sorted.

My Question: How can I query this information from a active worksheet and
return the row number where the match is found.

I hope you can help me
Thx in advance. Greetings Fred
From: Bernard Liengme on
I put you data on a worksheet beginning in B6
In B1 I entered the text for the B column match - "Policy"
In C2 I entered "Desktop" and in D2, "Prohibit User from manually
redirecting"
In E6 I entered the formula =IF(AND(B6=$B$1,C6=$C$1,D6=$D$1),"X","") and
copied it down the column by double clicking E6's fill handle.
In A1 I enter the formula =MATCH("X",E:E,0)
This returned the value 8 as that is the row where the three items match.
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP