From: pmetnc on
Where does one go to report a bug in Excel?

ps. It has to be done in Excel.

From: Dave Peterson on
I'm sure that there's a link on the microsoft.com somewhere.

But MS has known about the length of the string and the cell formatted as text
causing the ###'s to appear since xl97.

--

Dave Peterson
From: pmetnc on

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I'm sure that there's a link on the microsoft.com somewhere.
>
> But MS has known about the length of the string and the cell formatted as text
> causing the ###'s to appear since xl97.
>
> pmetnc wrote:
> >
> > Where does one go to report a bug in Excel?
> >
> > ps. It has to be done in Excel.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > >I think you're out of luck. I couldn't do it (well, in xl2003).
> >
> > >If that string is between 255 and 1024 characters, then I get the ### symbols.
> >
> > >It's not really the line wrapping that's causing the trouble.
> >
> > > ps. Have you thought of using a table in MSWord?

The strings I'm working with are far less than 255 characters. Are you
saying it only happens to you with strings over 255 characters?
From: Dave Peterson on
I'm saying that if you format a cell as text and have a string that's between
255 and 1024 characters long, you'll see ####'s.

How long is the text in that cell? In fact, what's the string in the cell that
causes the problem?

How wide is the column? Where do the line breaks occur? Are they natural line
breaks or did you use alt-enters to force new lines?

From: pmetnc on
It happens on a brand-new, blank worksheet, with the text abcdefghij.

Try this:
-open a blank sheet
-type in abcdefghij in A1 (or basically any text that's wider than the
current cell width)
-turn Wrap Text on
-format the cell with the @*. custom format
-see ########

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I'm saying that if you format a cell as text and have a string that's between
> 255 and 1024 characters long, you'll see ####'s.
>
> How long is the text in that cell? In fact, what's the string in the cell that
> causes the problem?
>
> How wide is the column? Where do the line breaks occur? Are they natural line
> breaks or did you use alt-enters to force new lines?
>

> pmetnc wrote:
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm sure that there's a link on the microsoft.com somewhere.
> > >
> > > But MS has known about the length of the string and the cell formatted as text
> > > causing the ###'s to appear since xl97.

> > The strings I'm working with are far less than 255 characters. Are you
> > saying it only happens to you with strings over 255 characters?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> .

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: TimeStamp
Next: Number format changes to date by itself