From: scadav on
Ok.

I tried all suggestions here, but still no luck (I will admit I am not an
expert). Once again, the code works in Win XP, but not Vista. Very
strange?!??!!

Anyway, does anyone have some very generic excel automation code that they
are 100% sure works in both operating systems? If so, can you post it and
I will if I can just rewrite my code into it.

I am desperate.
From: RoyVidar on
david(a)epsomdotcomdotau wrote:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=244264
>
> But note that article repeats the old, out-of-date information that
> the LocalServer32 key should point to the application server.
>
> It does not.
>
> The LocalServer32/default key is ignored.

Have you tried changing it, and then automate?

On my WinXP/Office 2007 i changed part of the path from

....Office12... to ...xxOffice14...

then when running some automation code, I get a coffebreak (large
friendly message screen saying "Configuring Microsoft Office
Professional 2007...") while it repairs the path in the registry key.

Anyway, I tend not to delve into such depths, but have observed that
when doing early binding, instantiating through New might fail where
CreateObject work, which seems to be consistant with MS recommandation.

--
Roy-Vidar
From: david on
Our automatic build process required us to modify the LocalServer32
key to support user-level security. It just stopped working with Access
2000. I found that if I removed the LocalServer32\LocalServer32 key,
the behaviour reverted to the use of the clear LocalServer32\default key.

I formed the opinion that the new key pointed to the installation data
(possibly to protect the user from automation spoofing), but I've never
found any documentation at all. Documentation might be interesting,
because (A) there might be a legitimate way to work with the current
behaviour, and (B) it might shed some light on the behaviour of Access
2007 when installed on the same PC as 2003 etc.

There is copious documentation on OLE, ActiveX, and COM, but it all
dates from the time when MS was offering COM as an open standard
competing with CORBA or JAVA beans. Nothing at all that I've ever
found about the current behaviour of OLE or Windows Installer. MS
OLE automation documentation seems to have stopped around 1999,
as seen in the KB article.

(david)

From: scadav on
scadav <nospam(a)yahoo.com> wrote in

> Ok.
>
> I tried all suggestions here, but still no luck (I will admit I am not
> an expert). Once again, the code works in Win XP, but not Vista.
> Very strange?!??!!
>
> Anyway, does anyone have some very generic excel automation code that
> they are 100% sure works in both operating systems? If so, can you
> post it and I will if I can just rewrite my code into it.
>
> I am desperate.

All,

Still having problems here. Has anyone ever gotten excel automation to
work on Vista? Can someone post the code they used that worked or point me
in the appropriate direction.

Thanks,
Dave
From: scadav on
I did some more playing around with the code and was able to get Excel to
close in Vista if I removed the line that says: wbk.Close savechanges:
=True

However, when I did this, it interactively popped up to the screen asking
that I save the file. Once I chose to save the file and the code finished,
EXCEL.EXE would shutdown as a process.

So I tried changing the wbk.Close savechanges:=True to wbk.SaveAs (as
previously suggested). I also tried wbk.Save and wks.Save, but EXCEL.EXE
would remain open still. (I obviously don't want this to interact with the
user).

Two other pieces of interesting information is:

#1 - if I leave the wbk.Close savechanges:=True in and open the file once
it is complete I do not get an "this file is in use message"
#2 -Once I close the file after opening it that instance of EXCEL.EXE will
shutdown.

Really need to solve this problem and hoping someone else has some ideas.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Emailing Access Reports
Next: Back-up Bob Larson