From: Jerry on
Office Pro 2003 Excel
Windows Vista Home Premium
Often, especially after a reboot when I click on an excel to open it I get a
message:
Windows Cannot find (the filename) Make sure you typed the name correctly
and then try again". The installer for Office opens and starts running but
stops and opens a new excel file. Then I have to go to file>open.> and find
the file.
This is very frustrating. I have repaired, completely reinstalled Office
from the original Disc (twice), tried the unchecking ignore other programs
box (it wasn't checked) There's just nothing else I know to try.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jerru
From: Jerry on

"Jerry" wrote:

> Office Pro 2003 Excel
> Windows Vista Home Premium
> Often, especially after a reboot when I click on an excel to open it I get a
> message:
> Windows Cannot find (the filename) Make sure you typed the name correctly
> and then try again". The installer for Office opens and starts running but
> stops and opens a new excel file. Then I have to go to file>open.> and find
> the file.
> This is very frustrating. I have repaired, completely reinstalled Office
> from the original Disc (twice), tried the unchecking ignore other programs
> box (it wasn't checked) There's just nothing else I know to try.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Jerru

HELLO!! Is anybody out there? A moderator or mvp?
Jerry
From: Dave Peterson on
I don't have a guess why you get the installation process starting, but you can
try this to see if it helps with the doubleclicking on the file.

Saved from a previous post:

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double
clicking on the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Uncheck "Ignore other applications"
(xl2003 menus)

or
Office Button|Excel Options|Advanced|General|Uncheck "Ignore other applications
that use DDE"
(xl2007)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
From: Jerry on

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I don't have a guess why you get the installation process starting, but you can
> try this to see if it helps with the doubleclicking on the file.
>
> Saved from a previous post:
>
> Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double
> clicking on the file in windows explorer:
>
> Tools|Options|General|Uncheck "Ignore other applications"
> (xl2003 menus)
>
> or
> Office Button|Excel Options|Advanced|General|Uncheck "Ignore other applications
> that use DDE"
> (xl2007)
>
> --- or ---
>
> Close Excel and
> Windows Start Button|Run
> excel /unregserver
> then
> Windows Start Button|Run
> excel /regserver
>
> The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
> excel's factory defaults.
>
> Jerry wrote:
> >
> > Office Pro 2003 Excel
> > Windows Vista Home Premium
> > Often, especially after a reboot when I click on an excel to open it I get a
> > message:
> > Windows Cannot find (the filename) Make sure you typed the name correctly
> > and then try again". The installer for Office opens and starts running but
> > stops and opens a new excel file. Then I have to go to file>open.> and find
> > the file.
> > This is very frustrating. I have repaired, completely reinstalled Office
> > from the original Disc (twice), tried the unchecking ignore other programs
> > box (it wasn't checked) There's just nothing else I know to try.
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> > Jerru
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> .
> I had already tried the "ignore other applications" option without success. Now I tried your second recommendation to run excel /unregserver and
excel /regserver I got a curious error message considering all of the times
I have reinstalled from my disc. The message is:
One of your object libraries (stdole32.tlb) is missing or damaged. Please
run setup to install it.

Any ideas what to do now? Apparently the reinstall is missing the problem. I
might add that I have been using this copy of the Office Disc for at least 3
years and this is a new problem.

Thanks for any help!!
Jerryu
From: Dave Peterson on
I've never seen this as a result of reregistering excel--in fact, I've never
seen this error at all.

If you can still open excel, I'd try Help|detect and repair

Or if that doesn't work, I'd try re-installing excel.

--

Dave Peterson