From: Paul St Louis on
Using SAS 9.1 and Excel 2003 SP3.
Have a spreadsheet with 250 columns and 526 lines of data. Problem with
certain dates and amounts not importing or importing as $1. Excel dates are
formatted as mm/dd/yyyy and numbers without decimal places.

Proc import seems to work, however this does not:

LIBNAME TEST "&LOC.MASTER.xls" HEADER=YES;
DATA G_TEST;
SET TEST.'SHEET1$'N;
RUN;

The excel workbook has several tabs dependent upon the main tab with simple
IF statements.... =IF('Master List'!A2=""|""|'Master List'!A2)

A cludgy work-a-round is to copy the offending column of dates into
Notepad, then format the Excel column as text, then paste the values from
notepad back into Excel.

Are there column limitations at work here? This is a problem I have never
encountered before. I am wondering if part of the problem is the Excel
datetime is8601dt. format versus the SAS numeric format beginning at Jan
1960. I am out of clues on this one.