From: ShaunP. on
Greetings

I'm currently trying to develop a 'solution' to deliver to my clients. I'm
almost definitely going to be using Excel barring any showstoppers - since
this is what my clients know best. I'm trying to avoid using VSTO, and would
like to be able to stick with Macros and VB code within Excel.

My biggest concern is security. I absolutely need to be able to securely
hide my formulas. The ease of use and familiarity of Excel is only worth
0.1% of the cost of the formulas. My clients don't need to know the formulas,
or how they work, they only need to be able to use them.

I've heard that Excel 2007 password protection is quite abit better than
previous versions - is this true? I realise that nothing is ever 100% secure,
but I need to be sure that the average computer user can't just google a
password breaker and get to the formulas.

What if my clients are running Excel 2003? Would a workbook built in 2007
retain its security if opened in 2003?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and input.
From: JLGWhiz on
You will be very lucky to find a really secure method to hide formulas using
Excel and VBA. Formulas entered on the worksheet appear in the formula bar
when the respective cell is selected and formulas used in VBA can only be
protected from people who are deathly afraid of computers at the outset.
Almost any knowledgeable user of Excel can get to the code in VBA. The best
you can do is to password protect the code by going intp the VBE and
View>VBA Project Properties>Protection and check the Lock Project for
Viewing box, then put a password on it.

From: ShaunP. on
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have looked into some software out
there like DoneEx's XCell Compiler and ExcelLock.

I'm just wary of how secure these might actually be aswell. If anyone has
any suggestions on 3rd party apps like these, I'd be willing to explore those
options aswell.
From: ShaunP. on
This is a little dissapointing to hear.

How is it that Microsoft hasn't taken the time to implement this? Being the
the biggest mainstream spreadsheet application without any reliable security?
Countless businesses are at risk of compromise with just a few google
searches?

There must be someway more reliable and secure.
From: Martin Brown on
ShaunP. wrote:
> This is a little dissapointing to hear.
>
> How is it that Microsoft hasn't taken the time to implement this? Being the
> the biggest mainstream spreadsheet application without any reliable security?
> Countless businesses are at risk of compromise with just a few google
> searches?
>
> There must be someway more reliable and secure.

If you are that concerned about protecting intellectual property then
you probably will have to put the critical calculations in a compiled
encrypted external DLL. Even then it can still be disassembled by a
sufficiently determined adversary.

You might want to experiment with some of the available password
crackers to see how easily they can break into protected VBA code. My
instinct is that for a suitably awkward choice of long password that
isn't in any dictionary and uses the full range of characters the Excel
security isn't brilliant but it will discourage most people.

My recollection is that they can break into worksheets very quickly, but
that VBA puts up a bit of resistance. YMMV

Somebody described a fairly devious way to trick XL into not displayiong
the project code window in a thread fairly recently. I haven't tried it.

Given how bad Excel 2007 is in other areas like graphics its security is
better than you might expect.

Regards,
Martin Brown