From: Jim Thomlinson on
Try this first...
Confirm your calculation setting.
Create a new workbook.
Add a simple formula to the new book such as the one you have. If it calc's
correctly then it is not XL but a problem in the workbook.

If the cells were previously text and you just reformatted them to number
then the underlying value will still be Text. You need to force XL to convert
them. Gord posted a method to do that.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

From: "David Biddulph" groups [at] on
And of course if there is any doubt as to whether the contents are text,
ISNUMBER() and ISTEXT() will give a clue.
--
David Biddulph

From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:12:51 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>Sounds like your numbers are Text.
>
>Format to General or Number then copy an empty cell.
>
>Select the range of "numbers" and Edit>Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc.
>

>Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Do the older versions work differently, Gord?

In 2007, if I, with a new workbook
Format Column A as TEXT
A1: 1
A2: 2
B1: =A1+A2
--> 3

The same occurs if I enter '1 and '2 in cells pre-formatted as General.

--ron
From: Gord Dibben on
Ron

Tested in my 2007 with new workbook.

Format A1:A2 as Text

A1 1
A2 2

A3 =A1+A2 results in 0

Same for '1 and '2

Gord

From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 09:30:00 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>Ron
>
>Tested in my 2007 with new workbook.
>
>Format A1:A2 as Text
>
>A1 1
>A2 2
>
>A3 =A1+A2 results in 0
>
>Same for '1 and '2
>

>Gord

Interesting.

I just did it again, but this time on a different computer.

Same results as I posted initially.

Computer 1 is running W7x64; computer 2 is running XP SP3 (32 bit)

XL version on computer 2 is Excel 2007 (12.0.6514.5000) SP2 MSO
(12.0.6425.1000)

I assume the version on my W7 machine is the same, but it's now a few hundred
miles away, so I can't be sure.

The other interesting phenomenon, that does occur on both machines, is that
AFTER I enter =a1+a2 and see "3" as a result (without the quotes)
the "3" is left justified
the cell is formatted as TEXT
=ISTEXT(B1) --> FALSE
=ISNUMBER(B1) --> TRUE
Selecting B1, then EDIT (F2) and <enter> displays just the formula, as
one would expect in a text formatted cell.

Very weird. But it's occurring on two different machines, two different OS's,
same Excel 2007.

--ron