From: Jeff on
I am running Exchange 2003 Standard Edition SP2

We currently have approximately 100 mailboxes

priv1.edb is 14.4GB
priv1.stm is 8.8GB

I did, quite some time ago update the registry to increase the database size
limit to 75GB.

Event ID 1221 reports only 220mb of free space.
I suspected it was misreporting the free space because my backups were
running at the same time the maint (online defrag) was running.

I changed my backup to run outside of the maint. window but it's still
reporting the same amount of free space.

Am I reading this wrong? It looks like I'm out of space, however I never
recieved a warning and the IS never dismounted so I still suspect there is
more free space than what's being reported.

Thanks

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 05:38:01 -0700, Jeff
<Jeff(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am running Exchange 2003 Standard Edition SP2
>
>We currently have approximately 100 mailboxes
>
>priv1.edb is 14.4GB
>priv1.stm is 8.8GB
>
>I did, quite some time ago update the registry to increase the database size
>limit to 75GB.
>
>Event ID 1221 reports only 220mb of free space.
>I suspected it was misreporting the free space because my backups were
>running at the same time the maint (online defrag) was running.
>
>I changed my backup to run outside of the maint. window but it's still
>reporting the same amount of free space.
>
>Am I reading this wrong? It looks like I'm out of space, however I never
>recieved a warning and the IS never dismounted so I still suspect there is
>more free space than what's being reported.
>
>Thanks

You're misunderstanding the event.
All 1221 is telling you is that there is free (also known as 'white')
space inside the database. It is not telling you that you only have
200MB left before the sky falls in. Your users will add another 200MB
of mail into your store before the store file starts growing again.

You have zero to worry about. Everything is perfectly fine.
From: Jeff on
Thanks

So I should just start to sweat if I see priv1.edb get near the limit then,
right?

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:02:06 -0700, Jeff
<Jeff(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks
>
>So I should just start to sweat if I see priv1.edb get near the limit then,
>right?

You should start sweating when your backup time takes longer than
you'd like to wait should you ever have to restore it.

Pages: 1
Prev: How to monitor NDRs?
Next: Exchange Active Sync