From: DM2009 on
Hi

I not am Exchange 2003 expert but have some questions about the
Administration of Exchange 2003.

1) Does Exchange 2003 provide notification of corrupted mail boxes and mail
stores and if yes how can this be set up?

2) Does Exchange 2003 provide tools for administration of mail boxes and
mail stores, ideally that can run as part of the standard process of
maintaining an Exchange system without having to take down who mailbox
stores?

3) Does Exchange 2003 provide a tool that can run as part of the standard
operation with out having to take the system offline for the reclaiming of
disk space on the system.

Regards

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 23:00:13 -0000, "DM2009" <Private(a)hotmail.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I not am Exchange 2003 expert but have some questions about the
>Administration of Exchange 2003.
>
>1) Does Exchange 2003 provide notification of corrupted mail boxes and mail
>stores and if yes how can this be set up?
>
>2) Does Exchange 2003 provide tools for administration of mail boxes and
>mail stores, ideally that can run as part of the standard process of
>maintaining an Exchange system without having to take down who mailbox
>stores?
>
>3) Does Exchange 2003 provide a tool that can run as part of the standard
>operation with out having to take the system offline for the reclaiming of
>disk space on the system.
>
>Regards

The concept of a mailbox as you seem to imply does not actually exist.
A users email and what they see as a mailbox is a construct of a large
database. If a page becomes corrupted it will have an effect on a
message within that users construct. The corruption is part of the
store, not the mailbox. You can monitor for that although now that you
know something new I suspect what you thought was the question is no
longer so.

Question 2 doesn't make a lot od sense. If you don't know Exchange you
could progably do worse than go away and buy a copy of GoExchange. You
can buy it inside a brown paper bag.

Question 3 is something that Exchange does all on it's own. Google for
"Online Maintenance". Brien Posey did an article some five to ten
years ago detailing the 11 steps. Google for that. Actually, it's
here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996226(EXCHG.65).aspx as
well. Use that instead.