From: benstokes1 on
Hey all,

I'm trying to remove an oprhaned mailbox from an Exchange 2003 back end
server. Every time I right-click and purge I get this error:

"The operation cannot be performed because this mailbox was already
reconnected to an existing user.

ID no: c1034ad6
Exchange System Manager"

Not sure how this orphan was created but the user exists in AD and has
his exchange mailbox attached on a different server.

If I create a new user and attempt to reconnect the orphaned mailbox to
it, it gives me the same error.

Any ideas anyone .. I've seen this error reported in a few places but
can't find the solution to this specific problem, as I just want to
delete this duplicate not reconnect it to anything.

Thanks
Ben

From: benstokes1 on
Is it safe to just dismount the store, rename the edb, and remount the
store? I don't want to save the contents of the mailbox.

Thanks,
Ben

From: Andy David - MVP on
On 7 Oct 2005 06:36:47 -0700, benstokes1(a)gmail.com wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I'm trying to remove an oprhaned mailbox from an Exchange 2003 back end
>server. Every time I right-click and purge I get this error:
>
>"The operation cannot be performed because this mailbox was already
>reconnected to an existing user.
>
>ID no: c1034ad6
>Exchange System Manager"
>
>Not sure how this orphan was created but the user exists in AD and has
>his exchange mailbox attached on a different server.
>
>If I create a new user and attempt to reconnect the orphaned mailbox to
>it, it gives me the same error.
>
>Any ideas anyone .. I've seen this error reported in a few places but
>can't find the solution to this specific problem, as I just want to
>delete this duplicate not reconnect it to anything.
>
>Thanks

Have you tried to simply delete the mailbox first in the ESM?

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
benstokes1(a)gmail.com wrote:

>I'm trying to remove an oprhaned mailbox from an Exchange 2003 back end
>server. Every time I right-click and purge I get this error:
>
>"The operation cannot be performed because this mailbox was already
>reconnected to an existing user.
>
>ID no: c1034ad6
>Exchange System Manager"
>
>Not sure how this orphan was created but the user exists in AD and has
>his exchange mailbox attached on a different server.
>
>If I create a new user and attempt to reconnect the orphaned mailbox to
>it, it gives me the same error.
>
>Any ideas anyone .. I've seen this error reported in a few places but
>can't find the solution to this specific problem, as I just want to
>delete this duplicate not reconnect it to anything.

The legacyExchangeDN name assigned to that mailbox is also assigned to
some other, currently active, mailbox.

Find the active mailbox with the same directory name and the delete
the mailbox from that user. Then purge the mailbox you want to get rid
of. Then reconnect the mailbox you want to keep (the one you deleted
from the active user) to the original user.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP