From: Mike Koch on
One of our BI apps (Cognos) sends emails with PDFs attached. After moving
several users mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007, these users now
receive the messages but the attachments are not visible in the message when
viewed from Outlook 2003. They can see the attachments in OWA, or if they
choose Save Attachments from the File menu in Outlook.

I found one reference to this problem on a blog post that said it would be
fixed in Exchange 2007 SP1, but our servers are already running Exchange 2007
SP1, so obviously that didn't fix the problem.

Is this a known problem? When will it be fixed? Is there a workaround, other
than the ones mentioned above?

Thanks,
Mike

From: Terence Liu [MSFT] on
Hello Mike,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I understand that you unable to view the PDF
attachments in Outlook after you move mailbox from Exchange 2003 to
Exchange 2007. If I have misunderstood the problem, please don't hesitate
to let me know.

Based on my research, I suggest we try the following steps to see if we can
resolve this issue:

- Open Exchange Management Console on Exchange 2007
- Under the Organization Configuration selected the Hub transport.
- On the Right pane under Transport rule tab.
- Created a new Transport rule.
- Selected the option "When any attachment file name contains text
patterns" typed .pdf
- Clicked Next under Actions Select "set header with value," click the
highlighted "header" text, type Content-Type, click OK
- Click the highlighted "value" text, type multipart/mixed, click OK, and
then click next
- On the "Exceptions" page, simply click next
- Finally "Create Rule" page, click New, then click Finish
- Restarted the Microsoft Exchange Transport service.
- Now tested the mail with PDF Attachment.

If we cannot resolve the issue after we perform the above steps, please
help me collect some information for further investigation:

1. If you send mail with PDF attachment from a normal Exchange mailbox
account, does the issue reoccur?

2. Does this issue happen on all mailbox accounts on Exchange 2007?

3. Does this issue happen when you view the email from Outlook 2007 client?

4. Please forward the problematic email to an Exchange 2003 mailbox, does
the issue still happen?

I hope these steps will give you some help.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Terence Liu(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

--------------------

From: John Fullbright on
I'd suspect the problem is outlook attachment security. The key is "They
can see the attachments in OWA, or if they
choose Save Attachments from the File menu in Outlook" which indicates
Level 2 attachment blocking. That the files are accessable in OWA, sounds
to me that they are not being blocked at the server but rather at the
client.

Generally, when you see problems with an extention that is not on the level
1 or level 2 lists, it's because of the way the attachment is mime encoded.
Instead of application/pdf, it may be encoded application/octet-stream.

From: Mike Koch on
Hi Terence,

While the transport rule you described fixed this particular problem, it
also broke users' ability to send normal PDF attachments from Outlook. If one
user attached a PDF to a message and sent it to another user, the recipient
received a blank message - no PDF was attached. Because of this, I had to
disable the transport rule.

To answer your other questions:
(1) Sending mail with PDF attachment from a normal Exchange mailbox via
Outlook works as expected.
(2) No, it seems to only affect certain Exchange 2007 mailboxes
(3) Unknown at this time
(4) Forwarding the message, even back to the same mailbox, causes the
attachment to become visible.

Any chance that the SP1 hotfix rollup 1 package addresses this problem?

Thanks,
Mike

From: Mike Koch on
That's the first thing I thought of when the problem was reported, but the
only thing that changed was that the mailbox was moved from Exchange 2003 to
Exchange 2007. The Outlook client never changed, no policies or GPOs were
changed, nothing that would have caused Outlook to suddenly start blocking
PDF files. Plus, if Outlook were truly blocking the files, the users wouldn't
be able to save them from the File menu.