From: maps on
Hi
I have recovered two servers a Exchange Server 2003 (latest patches ETC) and
also have recovered a backup domain controller on a new LAN.
However, the backup domain controller did not have a DNS server installed.
So far I have installed a DNS server on the Domain controller and switched
on the Global Catalogue option.

Both servers appear to start OK but the Exchange server services will not
start.

How and what should I check in Active directory Services etc to get Exchange
to run.
Kind regards
JPFN

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 14:10:23 +0100, "maps" <mspp(a)jpfnetworks.com>
wrote:

>I have recovered two servers a Exchange Server 2003 (latest patches ETC) and
>also have recovered a backup domain controller on a new LAN.

Umm . . . "recovered"? How?

>However, the backup domain controller

There are no "backup domain controllers," just "domain controllers.
Within a domain they're all peers.

>did not have a DNS server installed.

Are there other DNS servers in the organization? It isn't necessary
that all DCs be DNS servers.

>So far I have installed a DNS server on the Domain controller and switched
>on the Global Catalogue option.

Okay . . . so the DNS server is getting its information from the AD?
It should be able to resolve addresses in a little while. Having a GC
isn't absolutely necessary, but having a GC in an AD site where there
are Exchange servers is certainly a very good idea.

>Both servers appear to start OK but the Exchange server services will not
>start.
>
>How and what should I check in Active directory Services etc to get Exchange
>to run.

How about looking in the Application Event Log on the Exchange server?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] on
Check the event log for errors related the services not starting. I would
also suggest running NETDIAG and DCDIAG to insure everything passes. DNS
needs to be installed and running correctly for Exchange, NETDIAG results
should confirm this. A little more information about how performed your
restore for AD and Exchange would also be helpful.

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA