From: Chaplain Doug on
I noticed that my Exchange Server 2003 has hundreds of queues containing
messages from outside our domain TO outside our domain, like some spammer is
using my server to relay messages.

The sender is BANCA POPOLARE DI BARI <securizza(a)bpr.it>

and the recipients are all in foriegn domains

How can I prevent this and how did this happen?
--
Dr. Doug Pruiett
Good News Jail & Prison Ministry
From: "Lee Derbyshire [MVP]" email a on
"Chaplain Doug" <ChaplainDoug(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I noticed that my Exchange Server 2003 has hundreds of queues containing
> messages from outside our domain TO outside our domain, like some spammer
> is
> using my server to relay messages.
>
> The sender is BANCA POPOLARE DI BARI <securizza(a)bpr.it>
>
> and the recipients are all in foriegn domains
>
> How can I prevent this and how did this happen?
> --
> Dr. Doug Pruiett
> Good News Jail & Prison Ministry
> www.goodnewsjail.org

What settings do you have configured on the Relay tab of the properties of
your Default SMTP Virtual Server?

Lee.

--
______________________________________

Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP
www.leederbyshire.com
lee a.t leederbyshire d.o.t c.o.m
______________________________________

From: chaplaindoug on

What settings do you have configured on the Relay tab of the properties
of
your Default SMTP Virtual Server?

Lee.

Lee:

The relay restictions are set to allow relaying only from the list of
computers. The list is empty.

Under permissions for submit and relay, authenticated users can submit
but not relay, domain users can submit and relay.

--
chaplaindoug
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: Chaplain Doug on

From: SG_Dan on
I can't say I know for sure, but I encountered a situation similar to this,
and it turned out to be an outside entity using OWA to send bulk SPAM
messages. These messages were crafted so they looked like they were coming
from another domain, and only after reading the SMTP logs did we determine
what IP's to block. We are on Exchange 2007 so it made such investigation
easier, but I believe the logic is available for 2003 as well. Check for
logging.

Good Luck!