From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
It appears you didn't exclude the Exchange directories from antivirus
scanning, a must when you install a file-based antivirus program on an
Exchange server, and it corrupted Exchange. There are no good solutions to
this, I'm afraid to have to tell you. You have a few options, none of them
good.

1. Restore from backup. You will likely lose some of the most recent data.
2. Try to repair the database using ESEUTIL and ISINTEG. This will likely
destroy some data.
3. Try to recover what you can from each user's offline store by having
them copy everything to a PST.
4. Just write it off, delete all the store, log and system files in the
database and storage group directories and restart the store.

You might want to employ a combination of these methods along with some
others I haven't thought of in the brief time I've had to look at your
issue.

You really ought to take this opportunity to read the Microsoft Exchange
Disaster Recovery whitepaper for Exchange 2003 and become familiar with it.

My suggestion at this point would be to contact Microsoft Support and have
them help you through this, or employ a local consultant who is very
experienced at disaster recovery.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Henrik (Hear), MCP-SBS on
Many thanks Ed,

I have takened you suggestion regarding the expert consultant and have
contracted a guy from saturday remotely.
I have restored tha last good backup to e recover storage group on the
exchange server, also, I have made a copy of the virtual machine (The
Exchange server).

I will forward your post to the consultant and I will use it as reference
during the decisions.
I will also read up on the disaster recovery process in the KB you provided
a link to, I have read it before but it was a long time ago. These things
doesnt happen often wich Is good in some way, not good If you need to be
good at it.

I dont close this thread before I know my problem is solved.

Merry Christmas

Regards

Henrik Arenblad

From: Henrik (Hear), MCP-SBS on
hi, an update ..

My problems occured due to a dirty shutdown of my Exchange and there fore my
IS services was running but not the physical IS and Pub store them selves,
they were unmounted.

The log file that were deleted were not to be found and there fore we forced
the uncommitted log files to be commited and ran isinteg and eseutil with
checks. We made the unconsistent DB consisten again and were able to mount
them again. We used the methods in the KB that were provided and they worked
perfectly and the dataloss is only the last E000.log file, and cost that the
company has as an acceptable loss.

Thanks again Ed.

//Henrik ( Hear), MCP-SBS,

Pages: 1