From: Andrew Story on
Hi,

We've migrated all mailboxes from an Exchange 2000 Server to a Exchange 2007
server.

The Exchange 2000 server is still on the network and I notice it still sends
external emails out, there is no activity on the firewall advising the new
Exchange 2007 server is doing this..

When Exchange is uninstalled from this 2000 server will external emails
continue to work properly? (I assume it's doing this as there's a connection
between the new Exchange 2007 server and the 2000 box?)

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:05:26 +0100, "Andrew Story"
<andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We've migrated all mailboxes from an Exchange 2000 Server to a Exchange 2007
>server.
>
>The Exchange 2000 server is still on the network and I notice it still sends
>external emails out, there is no activity on the firewall advising the new
>Exchange 2007 server is doing this..
>
> When Exchange is uninstalled from this 2000 server will external emails
>continue to work properly? (I assume it's doing this as there's a connection
>between the new Exchange 2007 server and the 2000 box?)

walk through:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb288905(EXCHG.80).aspx and
then uninstall the server.
From: Andrew Story on
Thanks Mark,

I'm looking to keep an Exchange 2003 server in the organisation to support a
specific application, will this be OK after making the changes in the
document?

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
Oohh, you may have a problem unless you've been making typo's.
You said you went from 2000 to 2007. That's ok but you cannot now put
a 2003 box in there unless you had done the /forestprep and
/domainprep for 2003 beforehand.
Put another way, you cannot go and put a 2003 server into a 2007
forest unless you had one there already.
From: Andrew Story on
Ahh

I'm planning on installing a 2003 exchange server tomorrow due to exchange
2000 going out of support shortly.

It is the first 2003 server, can this not integrate durectly into the
organisation?