From: Andor on
On 15 Dez., 18:55, HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 3:31 am, Richard Dobson <richarddob...(a)blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

> > hxtasy wrote:
> > > Hello I would like to know if anyone has experience with the sliding DFT
> > > algorithm. It is somewhat similar to the Goertzel algorithm.
>
> > > All I would like to know is what application this algorithm would be
> > > useful in?
>
> > Probably the most unorthodox and extravagant of all possible
> > applications, but I have been using it for musical (audio) applications,
> > mainly in its use as part of a full (but very slow!) "sliding phase
> > vocoder" (SPV):
>
> >http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/SDFT/index.html
>
> > Now fully incorporated in Csound.
>
> > Our initial paper on the SDFT was for ICMC2005, which can be found via here:
>
> >http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/DigitalLibrary/index.php
>
> > (use the ICMC link; see also the Dafx08 link for some initial
> > explorations of a ConstQ form)
>
> > We have yet to put our 2007 ICMC paper online, but the first link above
> > gives access to the slides we used with some sound examples (though it
> > is far more about the SPV than the SDFT itself).
>
> > I am not the one to ask about the maths though - not my area!
>
> > Richard Dobson
>
> Do you have a ref for the original sliding DFT paper?

It is just the standard recursive algorithm to compute a running sum
(store the sum in a state variable, subtract the oldest input and add
the newest input) with an additional twiddle factor multiplication.
You'll find tons on the web.

Regards,
Andor
From: kevinjmcgee on
On Dec 15, 4:11 pm, Andor <andor.bari...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 Dez., 18:55, HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 16, 3:31 am, Richard Dobson <richarddob...(a)blueyonder.co.uk>
> > wrote:

> > > Probably the most unorthodox and extravagant of all possible
> > > applications, but I have been using it for musical (audio) applications,
> > > mainly in its use as part of a full (but very slow!) "sliding phase
> > > vocoder" (SPV):
>
> > >http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/SDFT/index.html
>
> > > Now fully incorporated in Csound.
>
> > > Our initial paper on the SDFT was for ICMC2005, which can be found via here:
>
> > >http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/DigitalLibrary/index.php
>
> > > (use the ICMC link; see also the Dafx08 link for some initial
> > > explorations of a ConstQ form)
>
> > > We have yet to put our 2007 ICMC paper online, but the first link above
> > > gives access to the slides we used with some sound examples (though it
> > > is far more about the SPV than the SDFT itself).
>
> > > I am not the one to ask about the maths though - not my area!
>
> > > Richard Dobson
>
> > Do you have a ref for the original sliding DFT paper?
>
> It is just the standard recursive algorithm to compute a running sum
> (store the sum in a state variable, subtract the oldest input and add
> the newest input) with an additional twiddle factor multiplication.
> You'll find tons on the web.
>
> Regards,
> Andor- Hide quoted text -

It's a very old technique. You can find it in many textbooks from the
1970's (e.g.: Rabiner and Gold, p. 382-3). Googling "sliding dft'"
found >1600 hits; among them:

http://www.comm.utoronto.ca/~dimitris/ece431/slidingdft.pdf

http://www.ingelec.uns.edu.ar/pds2803/Materiales/Articulos/SlidingDFT_BW.pdf

The second link is the 'dsp tricks and tips' paper from IEEE Signal
Processing Magazine.

It's often used when you don't want all N frequency points that you
would get from a regular DFT or FFT. And, just as with the
conventional DFT, you can compute it for fractional frequencies, and
your data can be any length N.
From: John E. Hadstate on

"hxtasy" <atijon58(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello I would like to know if anyone has experience with the
> sliding DFT
> algorithm. It is somewhat similar to the Goertzel algorithm.
>
> All I would like to know is what application this algorithm
> would be
> useful in?
>

> I cannot find that much information on the internet and have
> not had time
> to look into any books about the sliding DFT. So if anyone
> could mention
> the mathematics behind it the help would be appreciated.

Try Rick Lyons' book, Understanding Digital Signal Processing.

In the 2nd edition (Nineth [sic] printing) it on pages 532 to
540, a very lucid treatment.