From: hxtasy on
Hello I would like to know if anyone has experience with the sliding DFT
algorithm. It is somewhat similar to the Goertzel algorithm.

All I would like to know is what application this algorithm would be
useful in?

I cannot find that much information on the internet and have not had time
to look into any books about the sliding DFT. So if anyone could mention
the mathematics behind it the help would be appreciated.

From: Greg Berchin on

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dsp/browse_thread/thread/cd1cd30422feadd3
From: Richard Dobson on
hxtasy wrote:
> Hello I would like to know if anyone has experience with the sliding DFT
> algorithm. It is somewhat similar to the Goertzel algorithm.
>
> All I would like to know is what application this algorithm would be
> useful in?

Probably the most unorthodox and extravagant of all possible
applications, but I have been using it for musical (audio) applications,
mainly in its use as part of a full (but very slow!) "sliding phase
vocoder" (SPV):

http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/SDFT/index.html

Now fully incorporated in Csound.

Our initial paper on the SDFT was for ICMC2005, which can be found via here:

http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/DigitalLibrary/index.php

(use the ICMC link; see also the Dafx08 link for some initial
explorations of a ConstQ form)

We have yet to put our 2007 ICMC paper online, but the first link above
gives access to the slides we used with some sound examples (though it
is far more about the SPV than the SDFT itself).

I am not the one to ask about the maths though - not my area!

Richard Dobson

From: HardySpicer on
On Dec 16, 3:31 am, Richard Dobson <richarddob...(a)blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:
> hxtasy wrote:
> > Hello I would like to know if anyone has experience with the sliding DFT
> > algorithm. It is somewhat similar to the Goertzel algorithm.
>
> > All I would like to know is what application this algorithm would be
> > useful in?
>
> Probably the most unorthodox and extravagant of all possible
> applications, but I have been using it for musical (audio) applications,
> mainly in its use as part of a full (but very slow!) "sliding phase
> vocoder" (SPV):
>
> http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/SDFT/index.html
>
> Now fully incorporated in Csound.
>
> Our initial paper on the SDFT was for ICMC2005, which can be found via here:
>
> http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/DigitalLibrary/index.php
>
> (use the ICMC link; see also the Dafx08 link for some initial
> explorations of a ConstQ form)
>
> We have yet to put our 2007 ICMC paper online, but the first link above
> gives access to the slides we used with some sound examples (though it
> is far more about the SPV than the SDFT itself).
>
> I am not the one to ask about the maths though - not my area!
>
> Richard Dobson

Do you have a ref for the original sliding DFT paper?

From: Richard Dobson on
HardySpicer wrote:

>> Our initial paper on the SDFT was for ICMC2005, which can be found via here:
>>
>> http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/DigitalLibrary/index.php

> Do you have a ref for the original sliding DFT paper?

Not sure what you mean - ~our~ original paper is via the link above. If
you mean some particular original (older) publication, I have no idea.
Not sure there is one, as such. The basic principle (a complex rotation
applied to an input DFT buffer, for each sample) is the sort of thing
that might have been regarded as too trivial to write a whole paper on -
it is probably documented in the classic DSP reference texts from the
70's (none of which I own, sadly). I found a few papers dating from the
late 80's to early 90's (e.g. "Generalized Sliding FFT..." by B.
Farhang-Bouroujeny, IEEE somewhere, 1994), but doubt if they can be
called "the original".

Richard Dobson