From: Jim Mack on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:

> MsgBox doesn't process anything. You seem to be chasing your tail
> here, to be polite.

To MsgBox, the first embedded null is seen as the end. So one might
guess that the delimiter here is...

--
Jim

From: Norm on
Norm explained :
> Larry Serflaten wrote on 5/23/2010 :
>> "Norm" <NormF4(a)Spoof.com> wrote
>>
>>> There is apparently something going on here that I do not understand.
>>
>> It sounds like your program is getting called for each item in the
>> list. Pass in 3 or 4 and see how many instances of your program
>> get fired up....
>>
>> LFS
>
> Yes it is calling the program for each entry into the command line. I have
> not been able to figure out what is being used to split the entries.
>
> Norm

Larry, Jim,
Your right in that I am having trouble understanding what is going on,
partly I think in that I don't seem to be able to handle the messages
being sent at the right time and partly in that I am making it harder
than it should be. I was writing the Command$ to the registry and then
reading it in a timer routine, if the routine got an entry from the
registry it would then pass it to the cleaning routine, clean the file
and then delete the registry entry. The problem was the second message
sent to the next instance came so quick that it just wrote over the
first registry entry so I only got one entry and one file cleaned. I
like the chasing my tail analogy, as that is what I seem to be doing.
^^

I found an example of Ken Halters that uses an ocx to do this same
thing and will try and see if I can make it work.

Norm

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Jim Mack wrote :
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>>
>> MsgBox doesn't process anything. You seem to be chasing your tail
>> here, to be polite.
>
> To MsgBox, the first embedded null is seen as the end. So one might
> guess that the delimiter here is...

True. But if the OS is starting multiple processes, why might it also
include multiple parameters?

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Norm pretended :
> Norm explained :
>> Larry Serflaten wrote on 5/23/2010 :
>>> "Norm" <NormF4(a)Spoof.com> wrote

>>> It sounds like your program is getting called for each item in the
>>> list. Pass in 3 or 4 and see how many instances of your program
>>> get fired up....
>>>
>>> LFS
>>
>> Yes it is calling the program for each entry into the command line. I have
>> not been able to figure out what is being used to split the entries.
>>
>> Norm
>
> Larry, Jim,
> Your right in that I am having trouble understanding what is going on, partly
> I think in that I don't seem to be able to handle the messages being sent at
> the right time and partly in that I am making it harder than it should be. I
> was writing the Command$ to the registry and then reading it in a timer
> routine, if the routine got an entry from the registry it would then pass it
> to the cleaning routine, clean the file and then delete the registry entry.
> The problem was the second message sent to the next instance came so quick
> that it just wrote over the first registry entry so I only got one entry and
> one file cleaned. I like the chasing my tail analogy, as that is what I seem
> to be doing. ^^
>
> I found an example of Ken Halters that uses an ocx to do this same thing and
> will try and see if I can make it work.

So what's with all the writing to the registry stuff? Is there a
problem with using one process per file?

From: Norm on
Karl E. Peterson formulated on Monday :
> Norm pretended :
>> Norm explained :

>>> Yes it is calling the program for each entry into the command line. I have
>>> not been able to figure out what is being used to split the entries.
>>>
>>> Norm
>>
>> Larry, Jim,
>> Your right in that I am having trouble understanding what is going on,
>> partly I think in that I don't seem to be able to handle the messages being
>> sent at the right time and partly in that I am making it harder than it
>> should be. I was writing the Command$ to the registry and then reading it
>> in a timer routine, if the routine got an entry from the registry it would
>> then pass it to the cleaning routine, clean the file and then delete the
>> registry entry. The problem was the second message sent to the next
>> instance came so quick that it just wrote over the first registry entry so
>> I only got one entry and one file cleaned. I like the chasing my tail
>> analogy, as that is what I seem to be doing. ^^
>>
>> I found an example of Ken Halters that uses an ocx to do this same thing
>> and will try and see if I can make it work.
>
> So what's with all the writing to the registry stuff? Is there a problem
> with using one process per file?

Larry,

Either I don't understand, which is very possible, or I wasn't clear in
what I am doing also very possible, as I get confused easily. ^^

My app is running all the time and subclassed with an icon in the
system tray. When it starts it writes the registry entries to add a
explorer context menu to secure clean files. I wanted to show baloon
tips over the icon of the running program so if the program exe was
started with a command line I did not know how to pass that command
line directly to the present program that was running so I had it write
the command line to the registry, then shut down the second instance
and then the running program read the registry and executed the file
cleaning. This worked great until I tried to do more than one file,
then I had the problem since windows sends each entry through the
context menu in a separate instance of the program.

Searching Google I found a lot of question about this way back to 1997
and a lot of them answered by you. ^^ But no one seemed to have a
solution that I was able to find, other than using DDE and I don't
believe I can use that as I am not assigning specific files to my
program, but want to clean any file.

As you stated this can be done easily using a shortcut to the program
in the SendTo folder, but I am still trying to do it from the context
menu.

Norm