From: Rockinghorse Winner on
For both a Iomega USB HD and for a Pocketec USB HD, the hardware is detected
according to /var/log/messages, dmesg and lsusb; but no mountable device is
created. I have a usb printer that works fine. Here are my dmesg and lsusb
printouts:

http://pastebin.ca/1868008 (lsusb)

http://pastebin.ca/1868003 (dmesg)

Thanks!

--
Powered by Linux 2.6.31.6-166 Fedora 12
In rotation: Pacific Ocean Blue (D. Wilson) 2.6.31.5-0.1 OpenSUSE 11.2
From: J G Miller on
On Tuesday, April 20th, 2010 at 09:39:15h -0500,
RockingHorse Winner wrote:

> I don't know what the difference is between the file type
> and file system, sorry.

What I mean by that was, if you do fdisk -l /dev/sd{your_usb_drive}
when you can see a device, what does fdisk report as the file
system type, eg

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 1 1999 16056936 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdc2 2000 9039 56548800 5 Extended
/dev/sdc5 2000 4000 16073001 83 Linux
/dev/sdc9 8902 9039 1108485 82 Linux swap / Solaris

As you can see sdc1 is identified as having an an appropriate file
system type designation in the partition table for a Windoze NT/XP
file system. For FAT32, it probably should be "c W95 FAT32 (LBA)".

> BTW, the drives both mount fine in Fedora 12.

So that suggests that something in openSUSE is not loading the appropriate
kernel module perhaps on auto detecting the connection of the drive.

Did you check to see if the usb_storage module was loaded?

From: J G Miller on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:06:27 -0500, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

> For both a Iomega USB HD and for a Pocketec USB HD, the hardware is
> detected according to /var/log/messages, dmesg and lsusb; but no
> mountable device is created.

Do you have a partition on either of these devices, and if so,
what file type is it set to in the partition table?

Do you have a file system on one or more partitions on these devices,
and if so what type of file system is it?
From: Rockinghorse Winner on
J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> writes:

>On Tuesday, April 20th, 2010 at 09:39:15h -0500,
>RockingHorse Winner wrote:

>> I don't know what the difference is between the file type
>> and file system, sorry.

>What I mean by that was, if you do fdisk -l /dev/sd{your_usb_drive}
>when you can see a device, what does fdisk report as the file
>system type, eg

>Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>/dev/sdc1 1 1999 16056936 7 HPFS/NTFS
>/dev/sdc2 2000 9039 56548800 5 Extended
>/dev/sdc5 2000 4000 16073001 83 Linux
>/dev/sdc9 8902 9039 1108485 82 Linux swap / Solaris
>
>As you can see sdc1 is identified as having an an appropriate file
>system type designation in the partition table for a Windoze NT/XP
>file system. For FAT32, it probably should be "c W95 FAT32 (LBA)".

Fdisk -l doesn't detect anything other than the main drive, sda.

>> BTW, the drives both mount fine in Fedora 12.

>So that suggests that something in openSUSE is not loading the appropriate
>kernel module perhaps on auto detecting the connection of the drive.

>Did you check to see if the usb_storage module was loaded?

Could you explain to me how to do this?

From: Rockinghorse Winner on
Well, I rebooted, and it now creates a /dev/sdb1 for me. Great. Could have
been the recent kernel update (or not). Anyway, thanks for the great help;
It may come in handy some day!