From: Les Juby on
Hi

Is it possible to extend the session variable timeout past the default
limit of 20 minutes.?

My host won't do it from the server config side and I was wondering if
it could be done through ASP coding.?

.les.

From: Bob Barrows on
Les Juby wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it possible to extend the session variable timeout past the default
> limit of 20 minutes.?
>
> My host won't do it from the server config side and I was wondering if
> it could be done through ASP coding.?

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms525473.aspx
and
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-increase-timeout-values.html

Note: doing it in code only affects the current session.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Bob Barrows on
Bob Barrows wrote:
> Les Juby wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Is it possible to extend the session variable timeout past the
>> default limit of 20 minutes.?
>>
>> My host won't do it from the server config side and I was wondering
>> if it could be done through ASP coding.?
>>
> See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms525473.aspx
> and

http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-increase-timeout-values.html

> Note: doing it in code only affects the current session.

.... except when done in global.asa, of course.

PS. Would this invalidate the contract you have with your host?
--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Evertjan. on
Bob Barrows wrote on 10 dec 2009 in

>> Note: doing it in code only affects the current session.
>>
> ... except when done in global.asa, of course.
>
> PS. Would this invalidate the contract you have with your host?

Perhaps the terms could be broken, as in any contract the silliest terms
could be stated, but invalidisation is another matter.

I seem to remember that the maximum code settable timeout value can be set
in IIS, so [if so] there is no need for such contractual nonsense.

Session.Timeout = 60*24*365.2425*1000

Would that keep the session active into the 22th century?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
From: Bob Barrows on
Evertjan. wrote:
> Bob Barrows wrote on 10 dec 2009 in
>
>>> Note: doing it in code only affects the current session.
>>>
>> ... except when done in global.asa, of course.
>>
>> PS. Would this invalidate the contract you have with your host?
>
> Perhaps the terms could be broken, as in any contract the silliest
> terms could be stated, but invalidisation is another matter.
>
> I seem to remember that the maximum code settable timeout value can
> be set in IIS, so [if so] there is no need for such contractual
> nonsense.
>

> Session.Timeout = 60*24*365.2425*1000
>
> Would that keep the session active into the 22th century?

IIS6 will not allow a value greater than 24 hours.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/233477

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"