From: Brian V on
After looking at the notifications: One usb is the one for my printer (it has
a card reader and usb port), the other is the all in one card reader
connected to an internal usb port.

I can shut them down, but they always appear on and I am unsure if I can use
them if I disable them. But I assume if something is detected, then will turn
back on.
From: SC Tom on

"Brian V" <BrianV(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After looking at the notifications: One usb is the one for my printer (it
> has
> a card reader and usb port), the other is the all in one card reader
> connected to an internal usb port.
>
> I can shut them down, but they always appear on and I am unsure if I can
> use
> them if I disable them. But I assume if something is detected, then will
> turn
> back on.

Sometimes not without a reboot. Most times you can unplug the device, then
plug it back in (like the card reader) and it'll be picked back up. I've
seen occasions when that didn't work, though, and a reboot was necessary.
--
SC Tom

From: Brian Gregory [UK] on
"LD55ZRA" <LD55ZRA(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps this is what you were thinking about:
>
> 1) Plug in your flash drive or external HD in the available USB port
>
> 2) Go to the Start menu and double-click My Computer. Right-click on your
> flash drive or HD and go to properties.
>
> 3) In the properties dialog box click on the Hardware tab and as soon as
> it becomes populated, click to select your flash drive or HD.
>
> 4) Click on the properties button. The general tab will appear by default
> in the pop up dialog box. Now click on the policies tab and ensure that
> the radio button beside the option "Optimize for Quick Removal" is
> checked. The default is "optimise for performance".

In most XP systems "Optimize for Quick Removal" is the default.

> 5) Click ok twice to close both dialog boxes and you are done. Now you
> should be able to un-plug your flash drive without fear of loosing any
> data.

I recommend you check the activity light on the drive has been unlit for a
few seconds before unplugging.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
ng(a)bgdsv.co.uk

From: Brian Gregory [UK] on
> So, I have removed the drives a few times, everytime I turn on my
> computer.
>
> I choose to format the external drives. I changed their name. I plan to
> plug
> them in and choose remove the drives, but has my decision affected the
> possability to remove the cached data permanently? The system keeps
> recognizing "safetly remove hardware" upon start-up, but will not go away.

That doesn't make any sense to me, I have no idea what you're asking.

From: LD55ZRA on

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:

> In most XP systems "Optimize for Quick Removal" is the default.

Have you checked as a limited user on the system? As an Administrator
this is quite true but not as a Limited User.

>I recommend you check the activity light on the drive has been unlit for a
>few seconds before unplugging.

Some don't have the light. I use Novatech brand and they don't have the
light.

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD55ZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD55ZRA 2010.