From: Jerry West on
I'm running Windows XP on a Dell Insipron 8600. I tried hooking up an
external monitor to the VGA connector on the back and no display showed.
Should it automatically? Without the need to make some change in Device
Properties to make it happen? I should say that the laptop monitor itself
has gone all white so that is why I'm trying to hook up an external monitor.

JW

From: BillW50 on
In news:oLqdnUEqMYls0YjWnZ2dnUVZ_hydnZ2d(a)giganews.com,
Jerry West typed on Tue, 1 Dec 2009 09:05:44 -0800:
> I'm running Windows XP on a Dell Insipron 8600. I tried hooking up an
> external monitor to the VGA connector on the back and no display
> showed. Should it automatically? Without the need to make some change
> in Device Properties to make it happen? I should say that the laptop
> monitor itself has gone all white so that is why I'm trying to hook
> up an external monitor.
> JW

Hello Jerry! You need to press Fn plus one of the function keys (the one
that looks like a monitor) to toggle the display to another monitor. Or
use the display properties.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2