From: ship on
Hi

Is it possible to get an Solid State Drive (SSD) for my T60 Thinkpad?
I am looking at ways to speed the darned thing up!

I couldnt find anything from Lenovo, but maybe someone else makes
something... But I can see that some of the new Thinkpad models come
with SSD instead of a conventional hard disk. So surely it's only a
matter of time before Lenovo make something that fits into the ATA
Hard Drive Bay Adapters? (...Or someone else makes them for the
Thinkpad community!)

(Obviously there are the external memory stick devices but they are of
course limited by the USB 2.0 interface and are thus quite slow - so I
am not interested in them.)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

P.S. Anyone know much faster a SSD is in practice compared to a HDD?
From: BillW50 on
In
ship typed on Tue, 1 Dec 2009 01:04:06 -0800 (PST):
> Hi
>
> Is it possible to get an Solid State Drive (SSD) for my T60 Thinkpad?
> I am looking at ways to speed the darned thing up!
>
> I couldnt find anything from Lenovo, but maybe someone else makes
> something... But I can see that some of the new Thinkpad models come
> with SSD instead of a conventional hard disk. So surely it's only a
> matter of time before Lenovo make something that fits into the ATA
> Hard Drive Bay Adapters? (...Or someone else makes them for the
> Thinkpad community!)
>
> (Obviously there are the external memory stick devices but they are of
> course limited by the USB 2.0 interface and are thus quite slow - so I
> am not interested in them.)
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe
>
> P.S. Anyone know much faster a SSD is in practice compared to a HDD?

Yes you should be able to swap out any 2.5 inch hard drive for one of
the many 2.5 inch SSD available by third parties. Depending on the speed
of the SSD you purchase, you can typically increase your boot speed from
10% to half of the normal boot time. Careful of purchasing one with a
slow write speed.

SSD vs HDD (youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf_QS3mZsyU

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

From: BillW50 on
In news:hf4elv$fvc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
mike typed on Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:08:12 -0800:
> BillW50 wrote:
>> In
>> ship typed on Tue, 1 Dec 2009 01:04:06 -0800 (PST):
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Is it possible to get an Solid State Drive (SSD) for my T60
>>> Thinkpad? I am looking at ways to speed the darned thing up!
>>>
>>> I couldnt find anything from Lenovo, but maybe someone else makes
>>> something... But I can see that some of the new Thinkpad models come
>>> with SSD instead of a conventional hard disk. So surely it's only a
>>> matter of time before Lenovo make something that fits into the ATA
>>> Hard Drive Bay Adapters? (...Or someone else makes them for the
>>> Thinkpad community!)
>>>
>>> (Obviously there are the external memory stick devices but they are
>>> of course limited by the USB 2.0 interface and are thus quite slow
>>> - so I am not interested in them.)
>>>

>>> Ship
>>> Shiperton Henethe
>>>
>>> P.S. Anyone know much faster a SSD is in practice compared to a HDD?
>>
>> Yes you should be able to swap out any 2.5 inch hard drive for one of
>> the many 2.5 inch SSD available by third parties. Depending on the
>> speed of the SSD you purchase, you can typically increase your boot
>> speed from 10% to half of the normal boot time. Careful of
>> purchasing one with a slow write speed.
>
> Don't you have to have sufficient memory that you can turn off the
> swap file to keep windows from trashing the ssd in short order? Maybe
> other things like logging have to be turned off too. It's
> important NOT to write the drive any more than you have to.
>
> Bottom line, isn't it a lot more complex than just plugging in a SSD?
> mike
>>
>> SSD vs HDD (youtube)
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf_QS3mZsyU

Well that is true Mike. But some come with a lifetime warrantee and the
MTBF rate is 227 years for SLC SSD. I do limit my writing by turning off
the swapfile and use a RAMDisk, etc. But at the rate I am going with my
five SSDs, it will take something like 8000 years before I rack up
100,000 complete writes. So I don't think you really have to be that
careful with avoiding writes. At least not with SLC types anyway.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hf5ae8$ama$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
mike typed on Wed, 02 Dec 2009 01:01:56 -0800:
> BillW50 wrote:
>> In news:hf4elv$fvc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>> mike typed on Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:08:12 -0800:

>>> Don't you have to have sufficient memory that you can turn off the
>>> swap file to keep windows from trashing the ssd in short order?
>>> Maybe other things like logging have to be turned off too. It's
>>> important NOT to write the drive any more than you have to.
>>>
>>> Bottom line, isn't it a lot more complex than just plugging in a
>>> SSD? mike
>>
>> Well that is true Mike. But some come with a lifetime warrantee and
>> the MTBF rate is 227 years for SLC SSD. I do limit my writing by
>> turning off the swapfile and use a RAMDisk, etc. But at the rate I
>> am going with my five SSDs, it will take something like 8000 years
>> before I rack up 100,000 complete writes. So I don't think you
>> really have to be that careful with avoiding writes. At least not
>> with SLC types anyway.
>
> That's my point. If you just plug the drive into a windows system not
> optimized for it and do nothing else, you might be disappointed.

Hi Mike. I have been using SSD for two years now and I am a big believer
in them so far. Some of mine I am actually trying to wear them out and
they are holding up just fine.

> Been a long time since I looked at it, but..
> SSD drives are small >>>> most likely will stay nearly full.
> If the wear leveling algorithm doesn't move stuff, you have a wear
> problem. If the wear leveling algorithm moves a block of data almost
> every time you write it....there goes the speed advantage.

True, but I don't believe it works that way. As I seem to recall it
allows dozens of writes to one area before it decides to shuffle things
around a bit.

> I picked up an IDE to Compact Flash adapter, but decided not to wear
> out a perfectly good CF card for no good reason.

While many worry about the limit of writes to a SSD. But here are some
other things to consider.

1) Floppy disks can only be written to less than a 1000 times. Worse
they can't be read from too much longer than this.

2) CD and DVD RW can only handle about 1000 rewrites.

I never heard how many rewrites a hard drive can handle and we think of
them as unlimited. Although I am not sure this is so. Maybe there is a
limit to the amount of changes you can make to a hard drive too. It
might not even take 100,000 rewrites for all we know. Thus SSD would be
far more reliable than even HDD. As the MTBF seems to suggest SSD lasts
7 times longer than HDD anyway.

Now if it were me, I would be using that CF in that IDE adapter. As I
don't think you could wear it out very fast. And if you did, it would be
dozens of years from now anyway. By then, that CF card would be useless
because there would be TB cards by then.

> There is a thing called windows embedded. Does that solve the
> problems? mike

Yes it does, but it isn't really necessary. Although there are plus
sides to embedded, as for one viruses can't stick.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

From: BillW50 on
In news:hf553b$una$1(a)adenine.netfront.net,
John Doue typed on Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:30:50 +0200:
> BillW50 wrote:
>> In news:hf4elv$fvc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>> mike typed on Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:08:12 -0800:

>>> Don't you have to have sufficient memory that you can turn off the
>>> swap file to keep windows from trashing the ssd in short order?
>>> Maybe other things like logging have to be turned off too. It's
>>> important NOT to write the drive any more than you have to.
>>>
>>> Bottom line, isn't it a lot more complex than just plugging in a
>>> SSD? mike
>>
>> Well that is true Mike. But some come with a lifetime warrantee and
>> the MTBF rate is 227 years for SLC SSD. I do limit my writing by
>> turning off the swapfile and use a RAMDisk, etc. But at the rate I
>> am going with my five SSDs, it will take something like 8000 years
>> before I rack up 100,000 complete writes. So I don't think you
>> really have to be that careful with avoiding writes. At least not
>> with SLC types anyway.
> I don't know about the T60 but is not IDE vs SATA a issue? Do SLC hard
> drives come in both types? I suspect not.

Hi John. Yes they can be made either PATA (IDE) or SATA interfaces.

> I am wondering about my ageing but faithful R51 which I will keep
> until it is beyond repair should this ever happen. The display
> quality is unbeatable (I have the high definition one). An SLC disk
> would certain boost its speed. I currently have a 320G disk, IDE of
> course.

Well the longer you wait, the cheaper SSD will be. ;-)

> Besides, which RAM disk do you use? I did experiment with one but for
> some reason I have forgotten, I ended up dumping it.
> --
> John Doue

gavotramdisk (free)

--