From: Richard Bonner on
Hello, All.

I have a choice to buy one of two modem cards for an HP Pavilion 3438
laptop. I have been hunting around the Internet to see if either is Hayes
compatible but have only found ambiguity. Has anyone any experience with
an "XJEM3336" or "XJEM3288" modem under DOS?

I am using DR-DOS 7.03 and will be using a terminal program (Pro-Comm
Plus) on a dial-up landline.

--
Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

From: Mike S. on

In article <hf10t8$c71$1(a)Kil-nws-1.UCIS.Dal.Ca>,
Richard Bonner <ak621(a)chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>Hello, All.
>
> I have a choice to buy one of two modem cards for an HP Pavilion 3438
>laptop. I have been hunting around the Internet to see if either is Hayes
>compatible but have only found ambiguity. Has anyone any experience with
>an "XJEM3336" or "XJEM3288" modem under DOS?
>
> I am using DR-DOS 7.03 and will be using a terminal program (Pro-Comm
>Plus) on a dial-up landline.

These are Megahertz (subsequently absorbed by 3Com/USRobotics) modems; the
3336 is newer. Both are "DOS compatible" but: You will need either "Card
and Socket Services" plus a modem driver, or a standalone "enabler" program
to allocate the COM port.

From: Don Phillipson on
"Richard Bonner" <ak621(a)chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> Hello, All.
>
> I have a choice to buy one of two modem cards for an HP Pavilion 3438
> laptop. I have been hunting around the Internet to see if either is Hayes
> compatible but have only found ambiguity. Has anyone any experience with
> an "XJEM3336" or "XJEM3288" modem under DOS?
>
> I am using DR-DOS 7.03 and will be using a terminal program (Pro-Comm
> Plus) on a dial-up landline.

Pamphlet about the XJEM3336T says:
"For more detailed product specifications, call
(800) 527-8677 or visit the U.S. Robotics Website at
w w w. m e g a h e rt z . c o m /"
You would not think any PCI wireless cards sold new
this century would be DOS compatible or have DOS drivers.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Richard Bonner on
Thanks for the help, guys. I got busy with work and have just moved
into a new apartment, so I have not yet pursued this very far. However,
the store owner is willing to let me try both modems and to return the one
I don't want.

I will post a followup with the method that worked once I get some time
to try each modem and the suggested solutions.

From: BillW50 on
Richard Bonner wrote:
> Thanks for the help, guys. I got busy with work and have just moved
> into a new apartment, so I have not yet pursued this very far. However,
> the store owner is willing to let me try both modems and to return the one
> I don't want.
>
> I will post a followup with the method that worked once I get some time
> to try each modem and the suggested solutions.

Ever try the old, tried, and true *best* DOS modem? Many dialup servers
use banks of these.

US Robotics 56K Modem 5686E - 56 Kbps Fax / modem - serial RS-232

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2