From: Phil Marlow on
Phil Marlow schrieb:
> The external hard disk was preformated with NTFS.
> I tried to remove the non dos partition with fdisk on a win98se pc. And
> I tried to create a fat32 partition with 250 GB.
>
> Although I chose fat32 and all the right options, the partition size
> doesn't get any larger than 5,5 GB.
>
> If I try to create a fat32 partition on an xp-computer, the maximum
> partition size is 32 GB.
>
> I would like to have a single 250 GB fat32 partition (or at least
> something between 200 and 250 GB).
>
> Anyway to solve the problem without using Partition Magic?
> Or is Partition Magic the only way to solve the problem?
>
> Thanks for advice
> Phil

Thank you everybody for the good advice and the interesting information.
But I think, for an amateur like me it would be best to go for Partition
Magic.

Phil
From: Shep� on
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 00:07:28 +0100 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then Phil Marlow <philmar(a)fastnet.at> sent this :

>Phil Marlow schrieb:
>> The external hard disk was preformated with NTFS.
>> I tried to remove the non dos partition with fdisk on a win98se pc. And
>> I tried to create a fat32 partition with 250 GB.
>>
>> Although I chose fat32 and all the right options, the partition size
>> doesn't get any larger than 5,5 GB.
>>
>> If I try to create a fat32 partition on an xp-computer, the maximum
>> partition size is 32 GB.
>>
>> I would like to have a single 250 GB fat32 partition (or at least
>> something between 200 and 250 GB).
>>
>> Anyway to solve the problem without using Partition Magic?
>> Or is Partition Magic the only way to solve the problem?
>>
>> Thanks for advice
>> Phil
>
>Thank you everybody for the good advice and the interesting information.
>But I think, for an amateur like me it would be best to go for Partition
>Magic.
>
>Phil

Try SuperFdisk as it's free,
http://www.ptdd.com/download.htm

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
From: frischmoutt on
I didn't follow the thread but some weeks ago, I've been surprized by the
features of a mobile combo USB/LAN storage unit for one 3.5" HD.
I bought it on ebay for some tens of bucks. There are some more at the
following url :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Lan-Server-3-5-Hdd-Usb-2-0-Network-Ethernet-ETH3556-EUR_W
0QQitemZ270069926133QQihZ017QQcategoryZ11175QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
A little bit more expensive than a USB external enclosure. The unit includes
an embedded SAMBA server, an ftp server and the USB connection for the
maintenance.

I equipped the unit with a 250 GB Maxtor HD. I installed the USB drivers
(Win98SE) on the computer and plugged it onto the USB port.
First I made one primary hidden small partition and two logical drives in
the extended partition with Partition Magic 8.

When partitioned, I began to format it but this was taking too long from
Windows and I was in a hurry. So I changed my mind and decided to format it
through the embedded utility.
I replaced the USB connection by the LAN one, accessed to the disk with its
IP address through Internet Explorer and configurated the environment. I
began then to format it. There were the two visible partitions I first
prepared when it was USB connected but under the network, the system was
keeping to see only one of 125 GB. Nevertheless I launched it. It took some
minutes and at the end, there was only one big 250 GB partition as I wanted
to have since the beginning.

In fact, the utility seems to deal with the whole disk and is probably able
to create a primary partition and format it directly from a pristine disk,
whatever the computer BIOS limitations are.
The drawback is that the system is FAT32 extended. NTFS isn't possible. Fine
with large videos but cluster wasting with small files.

These features seem to match your tech spec.

"Phil Marlow" <philmar(a)fastnet.at> a �crit dans le message news:
1166569685.260924(a)nntpcache01.si.eunet.at...
> Phil Marlow schrieb:
> > The external hard disk was preformated with NTFS.
> > I tried to remove the non dos partition with fdisk on a win98se pc. And
> > I tried to create a fat32 partition with 250 GB.
> >
> > Although I chose fat32 and all the right options, the partition size
> > doesn't get any larger than 5,5 GB.
> >
> > If I try to create a fat32 partition on an xp-computer, the maximum
> > partition size is 32 GB.
> >
> > I would like to have a single 250 GB fat32 partition (or at least
> > something between 200 and 250 GB).
> >
> > Anyway to solve the problem without using Partition Magic?
> > Or is Partition Magic the only way to solve the problem?
> >
> > Thanks for advice
> > Phil
>
> Thank you everybody for the good advice and the interesting information.
> But I think, for an amateur like me it would be best to go for Partition
> Magic.
>
> Phil

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2