From: Phil Marlow on
The external hard disk was preformated with NTFS.
I tried to remove the non dos partition with fdisk on a win98se pc. And
I tried to create a fat32 partition with 250 GB.

Although I chose fat32 and all the right options, the partition size
doesn't get any larger than 5,5 GB.

If I try to create a fat32 partition on an xp-computer, the maximum
partition size is 32 GB.

I would like to have a single 250 GB fat32 partition (or at least
something between 200 and 250 GB).

Anyway to solve the problem without using Partition Magic?
Or is Partition Magic the only way to solve the problem?

Thanks for advice
Phil
From: James L. Liles on
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:45:54 +0100, Phil Marlow <philmar(a)fastnet.at>
wrote:

:->The external hard disk was preformated with NTFS.
:->I tried to remove the non dos partition with fdisk on a win98se pc. And
:->I tried to create a fat32 partition with 250 GB.
:->
:->Although I chose fat32 and all the right options, the partition size
:->doesn't get any larger than 5,5 GB.
:->
:->If I try to create a fat32 partition on an xp-computer, the maximum
:->partition size is 32 GB.
:->
:->I would like to have a single 250 GB fat32 partition (or at least
:->something between 200 and 250 GB).
:->
:->Anyway to solve the problem without using Partition Magic?
:->Or is Partition Magic the only way to solve the problem?
:->
:->Thanks for advice
:->Phil

You may find these useful...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/prork/prdf_fls_pxjh.mspx?mfr=true

This indicates that Windows 98 cannot create a volume larger than just
over 127 gigabytes and Windows XP is limited to 32 gigabytes.

The normal knowledge base is down at the moment, so this is what I
could get through Google.

--

I hope that this helps. 8-)

To reply by E-mail, just click reply.
From: Shep� on
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:45:54 +0100 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then Phil Marlow <philmar(a)fastnet.at> sent this :

>The external hard disk was preformated with NTFS.
>I tried to remove the non dos partition with fdisk on a win98se pc. And
>I tried to create a fat32 partition with 250 GB.
>
>Although I chose fat32 and all the right options, the partition size
>doesn't get any larger than 5,5 GB.
>
>If I try to create a fat32 partition on an xp-computer, the maximum
>partition size is 32 GB.
>
>I would like to have a single 250 GB fat32 partition (or at least
>something between 200 and 250 GB).
>
>Anyway to solve the problem without using Partition Magic?
>Or is Partition Magic the only way to solve the problem?
>
>Thanks for advice
>Phil

I think you need the fdisk from WinME as there's a limit to the
partition size with the one in Win98/SE(64 gig IIRC).

Also it's best to fully remove ALL partitions and for this I use
Aefdisk and then the updated MS fdisk to re-partition.

Make a boot CD on your system.Overcopy the updated fdisk version,
ftp://ftp1.fkkt.uni-lj.si/newfdisk.zip

Add to the boot disk aefdisk,
http://www.aefdisk.com/adownload.html

Boot from the floppy and issue the command
aefdisk /delall :C

as an example but choose the correct drive you want to fully wipe.

Then use the updated fdisk to re-partition or you can also look at
SuperFdisk,
http://www.dailysofts.com/program/383/16493/Super_Fdisk.html

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
From: MalcolmO on
> I think you need ...

Actually, you need a lot more than that (unless the external drive has
the intelligence to load and save files and serve those back and forth
to the host PC as though the external drive were another computer). The
info on that is here:

http://www.48bitlba.com/tools.htm and here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46752

As described there, you need to disable the blue-screen scandisk from
running (it _will_ scramble disks over 127GB), you need to have newer
scandskw and defrag, BIOS support, AND (probably most importantly) you
need to have a 48-bit device driver. Without this last, using other
tools to create larger partitions (or indeed even to see beyond 127GB)
will work just fine ONLY UNTIL you hit a sector over the 127GB limit. At
that point the non-48-bit driver will wrap around and begin shredding
files at the *beginning* of the 127GB. Not pretty.

I myself am using the VIA Miniport driver and the scandskw and defrag
from WinME. This works perfectly well for the HDD but I note that my
Plextor burner now uses the VIA driver as well and I suppose I have to
blame this in determining why my Plextor will no longer burn
successfully. Not satisfying (and I've been using this for a few months
now).

There is another package of 48-bit disk tools for Win98 which I've
downloaded and not applied. I now think it's a good plan to try those
out. I forget where I got them, but I'll see if I can track that down....

<sigh> I'm not gonna find it any time soon. :( It was linked from a
discussion which included a participant named Petr. Included a new
ESDI_506.PDR. These are the files in the .ZIP file:

FDISK121 ZIP 196,356 09-19-06 4:40p fdisk121.zip
!READ ME 3,134 07-23-06 10:06a !read.me
_BIGHDD INF 1,311 07-23-06 10:05a _bighdd.inf
_INSTALL BAT 60 05-09-05 1:21p _install.bat
ADVPACK DLL 80,864 06-02-98 11:00a ADVPACK.DLL
DEFRAG EXE 213,296 06-08-00 5:00p defrag.exe
DSKMAINT DLL 238,432 06-08-00 5:00p dskmaint.dll
ESDI_506 PDR 24,431 07-20-06 12:38p ESDI_506.PDR
FDISK EXE 35,880 04-06-03 10:29p FDISK.EXE
FDISK INI 8,447 11-30-02 12:14p FDISK.INI
FDISK TXT 5,919 09-15-05 3:07p fdisk.txt
FDISKPT INI 21,232 07-23-02 10:04p FDISKPT.INI
FORMAT EXE 31,216 01-14-06 8:15p format.exe
FORMAT TXT 6,405 07-23-06 10:04a format.txt
SCANDSKW EXE 5,104 06-08-00 5:00p scandskw.exe
W95INF16 DLL 2,272 12-04-97 1:02p W95INF16.DLL
W95INF32 DLL 4,608 12-04-97 1:02p W95INF32.DLL
MIGRAT~1 PDF 1,538,227 09-27-06 6:49p migrateeasy6.0_ug.en.pdf

Actually, that Migrate Easy file may have been tossed in later.

Bottom line... this is a difficult issue! The simplistic directions
given in prior messages must not be used!

My honest-to-God recommendation: Switch to Linux! No kidding!
From: Dave Cohen on
Phil Marlow wrote:
> The external hard disk was preformated with NTFS.
> I tried to remove the non dos partition with fdisk on a win98se pc. And
> I tried to create a fat32 partition with 250 GB.
>
> Although I chose fat32 and all the right options, the partition size
> doesn't get any larger than 5,5 GB.
>
> If I try to create a fat32 partition on an xp-computer, the maximum
> partition size is 32 GB.
>
> I would like to have a single 250 GB fat32 partition (or at least
> something between 200 and 250 GB).
>
> Anyway to solve the problem without using Partition Magic?
> Or is Partition Magic the only way to solve the problem?
>
> Thanks for advice
> Phil
You could download a trial copy of bootitng from www.terabyteunlimited.com
Don't attempt to install. Make the bootable media per instructions. Once
booted, hit cancel and this will put you in maintenance mode. You may
have to first go into settings and enable usb support.
As far as os support you're on your own.
Dave Cohen
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Memory Question