From: brian d foy on
In article <87eie3imbs.fsf(a)lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov
<tzz(a)lifelogs.com> wrote:

> I disagree. The FAQ should target the latest Perl.

The FAQ will always be for the version of Perl it comes with. If you
have an older Perl, you can use the FAQ that came with it.

However, I'm not extremely motivated to change all the code in the FAQ
just to use the new features when a backward compatible version of the
code is good enough. That might not apply to this particular answer,
though.
From: brian d foy on
In article <tijej7-gjq.ln1(a)osiris.mauzo.dyndns.org>, Ben Morrow
<ben(a)morrow.me.uk> wrote:

> IMHO the FAQ should follow current best practices, based on the latest
> version of Perl commonly installed in production,

The problem is that best practies change more quickly than Perl does.
From: brian d foy on
In article <i41r9m$vm0$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>, Alan Curry
<pacman(a)kosh.dhis.org> wrote:

> > Didn't anyone ever tell you web-page hit counters were useless? They
>
> Code problems aside, are hit counters still popular enough for this joke
> to work?

Probably not.
From: Ted Zlatanov on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:29:53 +0000 (UTC) dmcanzi(a)remulak.uwaterloo.ca (David Canzi) wrote:

DC> In article <87eie3imbs.fsf(a)lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov <tzz(a)lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> I disagree. The FAQ should target the latest Perl.

DC> Why?

I think it's pretty self-evident and brian explained it better. But to
be clear, "target" doesn't mean "ignore anything but."

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:02:43 +0200 brian d foy <brian.d.foy(a)gmail.com> wrote:

bdf> The FAQ will always be for the version of Perl it comes with. If you
bdf> have an older Perl, you can use the FAQ that came with it.

Right. So it's counter-productive to have FAQ answers that ignore
available features, especially if it makes the answers more concise.
`autodie' is such a feature: it makes the answer better while reducing
the amount of unnecessary "... or die ..." code.

bdf> However, I'm not extremely motivated to change all the code in the FAQ
bdf> just to use the new features when a backward compatible version of the
bdf> code is good enough. That might not apply to this particular answer,
bdf> though.

Yeah, since someone went and did "... or die ..." everywhere it may as
well be done the simple way :)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 02:26:21 +0100 Ben Morrow <ben(a)morrow.me.uk> wrote:

BM> I rather suspect autodie isn't widely enough used yet to count as 'best
BM> practice', but I think it ought to become so.

Usage in the FAQ is a good way to popularize it. It gives people a
clear reason to use newer Perls.

Ted