From: FAQ server on
FAQ Topic - How do I get the value of a form control?

In HTML documents, a form may be referred to as a property of the
` document.forms ` collection, either by its ordinal index or by name
(if the ` form ` has a name). A ` form `'s controls may be similarly referenced
from its ` elements ` collection:

var frm = document.forms[0];
var contrl = frm.elements["elementname"];

Once a reference to a control is obtained, its (string) ` value `
property can be read:-

var value = control.value;
value = +control.value; //string to number.

Some exceptions would be:

First Exception: Where the control is a ` SELECT ` element, and
support for older browsers, such as NN4, is required:

var value = control.options[contrl.selectedIndex].value;

Second Exception: Where several controls share the same name,
such as radio buttons. These are made available as collections
and require additional handling. For more information, see:-

http://jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/form_access.html

http://jibbering.com/faq/names/

Third Exception: File inputs. Most current browsers do not allow
reading of ` type="file" ` input elements in a way that is useful.

The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
http://jibbering.com/faq/

--

The sendings of these daily posts are proficiently hosted
by http://www.pair.com.

From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <4b6cb109$0$271$14726298(a)news.sunsite.dk
>, Sat, 6 Feb 2010 00:00:02, FAQ server <javascript(a)dotinternet.be>
posted:

>In HTML documents, a form may be referred to as a property of the
>` document.forms ` collection, either by its ordinal index or by name
>(if the ` form ` has a name). A ` form `'s controls may be similarly referenced
>from its ` elements ` collection:

The beginning of the second sentence is ugly, on Web and in News, since
there is a font change in the middle of a word.

Easily fixed : change to "Controls in a ` form ` may be ..." which is
only one character longer. Likewise elsewhere, if applicable.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. replyYYWW merlyn demon co uk Turnpike 6.05.
No Encoding. Quotes precede replies. Snip well. Write clearly. Mail no News.

Pages: 1
Prev: asp
Next: Dateiendung Pr�fung