From: Rob Christiansen on
what is wrong? Below is my code and error message:

var RelativePathToAccessFile = databasename
var AbsolutePathToAccessFile = Server.MapPath( RelativePathToAccessFile
)
var FSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
var ConnectionString = "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE=" +
AbsolutePathToAccessFile + ";"
var ConnectionObject = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
ConnectionObject.Open( ConnectionString )

var sql = "SELECT * FROM santa1 "
var rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
rs.Open ( sql, ConnectionObject );
-------------------------
//Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0414'
//Cannot use parentheses when calling a Sub
///santa/smaster_list.asp, line 41
//rs.Open ( sql, ConnectionObject );
//---------------------------------^

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones on

:
: var RelativePathToAccessFile = databasename
: var AbsolutePathToAccessFile = Server.MapPath( RelativePathToAccessFile
: )

: -------------------------
: //Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0414'
: //Cannot use parentheses when calling a Sub
: ///santa/smaster_list.asp, line 41
: //rs.Open ( sql, ConnectionObject );
: //---------------------------------^

error #1, wrong group
error #2, rs.Open //Cannot be called use'ing parentheses (I guess)
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:

> Rob Christiansen (robb_christiansen(a)q.com) wrote:
> : what is wrong? Below is my code and error message:
>
> :
> : var RelativePathToAccessFile = databasename
> : var AbsolutePathToAccessFile = Server.MapPath( RelativePathToAccessFile
> : )
> : var FSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> : var ConnectionString = "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE="
+
> : AbsolutePathToAccessFile + ";"
> : var ConnectionObject = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> : ConnectionObject.Open( ConnectionString )
>
> : var sql = "SELECT * FROM santa1 "

Bad idea. Instead, always provide a comma-separated list of the names of
the fields you need, in the desired order.

> : var rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
> : rs.Open ( sql, ConnectionObject );
> : -------------------------
> : //Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0414'
> : //Cannot use parentheses when calling a Sub
> : ///santa/smaster_list.asp, line 41
> : //rs.Open ( sql, ConnectionObject );
> : //---------------------------------^
>
> error #1, wrong group
> error #2, rs.Open //Cannot be called use'ing parentheses (I guess)

If I am not very mistaken, all those error messages are bogus :)

1. This looks like ECMAScript-compliant code (as the `var' indicates),
so for that it is on-topic here (however, it is true that general
runtime environment issues are better asked about elsewhere.)

2. The problem is very likely that the trailing semicolon is not accepted
here, not the parentheses (they had been accepted in that context
before -- remember the old helicopter Microsoft joke?). This would be
because the wrong scripting engine (VBScript instead of JScript) had
been used.

Therefore, the OP should append the semicolons to the other statements
(code style), after which, if my assumption above is correct, the VBScript
syntax error will be reported earlier. If so, then they need to tell ASP
that this is JScript code instead of the default VBScript, after which
there should not be a problem here:

<%@ LANGUAGE = "JScript" %>

The alternative, which I would recommend against, is to rewrite this in
VBScript.

See also <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms525153.aspx> (these
really are ASP *basics*!)

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>
From: Andrew Poulos on
On 6/02/2010 10:01 AM, Rob Christiansen wrote:
> what is wrong? Below is my code and error message:
>

> var RelativePathToAccessFile = databasename
> var AbsolutePathToAccessFile = Server.MapPath( RelativePathToAccessFile
> )
> var FSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> var ConnectionString = "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE=" +
> AbsolutePathToAccessFile + ";"
> var ConnectionObject = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> ConnectionObject.Open( ConnectionString )
>
> var sql = "SELECT * FROM santa1 "
> var rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
> rs.Open ( sql, ConnectionObject );
> -------------------------
> //Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0414'
> //Cannot use parentheses when calling a Sub
> ///santa/smaster_list.asp, line 41
> //rs.Open ( sql, ConnectionObject );
> //---------------------------------^

At the top of the page you need

<%@ language="javascript" %>

otherwise I believe the server assumes that its vbscript.

Andrew Poulos

From: Evertjan. on
Andrew Poulos wrote on 06 feb 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

> At the top of the page you need
>
> <%@ language="javascript" %>
>
> otherwise I believe the server assumes that its vbscript.

By default but depending on the IIS settings.

The OP server's IIS could have been set to Jscript.

Second optiom, using:

<script language='jscript' runat='server'>

</script>

to have only this part of the asp script use jscript,
and that part will run prior to any default languaged VBS.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.